When you were 16

Pinkella

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left school @ 16 with half doz O levels - not bad for sec mod boy eh - offered 5 jobs, took one as tempory measure but stayed there for 38yrs until they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now I pick and choose if I work, shoot, fish, watch cricket...... Fortunately got good health. Old boss died 18 mths after early retirement - I've managed 7 yrs so looking good. Think beating should be on all school curriculum - keeps me v fit.

Got me to thinking so just dug out my letter of acceptance at my first job as a tool room trainee back in 1971, hourly rate was £0.179.

Did day release for City and Guilds having done very poorly at skool (due mostly to lack of interest and too many diversions). Found college much more interesting as it related to something practical. Went on from there to a company that made stylii for record players, then to a company that makes medical test equipment as senior mechanical engineer then about 20 years ago started my own design and development engineering business when they relocated to Southern Ireland.

Left school at 16..(1989)..went straight to work on a yts..£29-50 a wk in sherwood forest@ edwinstowe..robin hood and all that.....worked at southwell racecourse...did c&g in agriculture and horticulture......got girlfriend pregnant at 16..(i got custody of him at 17)..then went into engineering...stocktaking,forestry etc....now a full time knackerman..found my niche...

Edited by smig4373

Passed my driveing test at 14

And was self inployed by then

And yes I know it was ilegel but means at too! At the time

3 years later dvla and police found out and after along battle

They simply just corrected my age ,, lol

Get this even the feo officer had it on record !

And still in the same job 16years later!!

Edited by rapid basher

I had done all the good stuff by the age of sixteen.

I started my adventures at the age of 13 when I took the family Ford Sierra out for a spin :lol:

I met the current Mrs ME when I was 14 - and being six months older, she knew "stuff". :whistling:

By fifteen I had forged some I.D. and was a regular in local pubs along with many others our age. I also had a "borrowed" Honda C90 moped that I used for tearing up the school playing fields in the evenings.

By sixteen I had been suspended from school a few times and spent increasing time outside of school playing poker and smoking. It seemed a mutually agreeable situation for me and the school :lol:

At 17, I stayed on for six form for another year of doing cock-all. By the end of that year, I started as an office junior in a freight company in 1990 earning £6k a year. My first boss and manager were a pair of proper wide boys and it was a great grounding in work and life.

Now at the age of 40, I have sons aged 12 and 8 and can only wonder what they are going to get up to!

Edited by ME