downed birds in your decoy pattern

big bad lindz

Hi Guys,

I have a question about how long do you use fresh downed birds in your decoy pattern in this heat that we are having if you want to keep them for the pot? or would you only use these birds again in with the decoys on your next outing.

There are not great numbers up here and although I help the farmer a little by keeping them moving, taking 10-12 would be a realy good day, on an average day of late 5 has been the best and some of them were ferral. Long days for not a big return.

Also I have thought about covering the keepers with a damp hessian sack to keep them cooler.

Any advice?

Cheers,

BBL

If it's fly strike you are worrying about, don't. Even if they do lay eggs they won't be laying anywhere that won't be removed once you've plucked the pigeon.

With heat sweating the meat it's harder to resolve. I used one of those supermarket cooler bags with a couple of icepacks inside the last time it was very hot (but space is limited). The old hessian sack will also work alright, but unless you are planing on spending all day in 28c weather I don't think heat on the birds should be that much of an issue.

You are better to leave the birds out in the field for a short time as they will cool quicker out there than they will piled up in a sack etc.

I leave them out for a while then transfer them to a carp sack which is well ventilated but will not let the flies get at them.