Briggs and Stratten engine problem

countryman

Hi

I have a Briggs and Stratten 12hp engine on my Westwood tractor mower, the problem is that it is burning oil badly, i have put new piston rings , head gasket and sump gasket but its still burning oil. The smoke is mostly coming out the crank case breather pipe, when we striped the engine down it all looked in good condition, any ideas as to what this could be.

Thanks

Chris

Have you given the new rings time to bed in and did you hone the bore.

I did a 2 lit pinto that was smoking badly.

I honed the bores and fitted hepolite piston rings and put good quality oil in it.

And it smoked its t*** off for 2000 miles and then just stopped smoking and burning oil.

I spoke to hepolite and they said it takes a bit of time for the rings to bed in and longer if if you use very good oil when bedding in new rings.

Give it some time for the rings to bed in.

Good luck.

Russ.

Did you pour petrol into the upturned head chambers when you had it off? Did it leak past the valves?

I'd be looking at valve seats and guides.

Oh aye, don't ever tip those engines with the heads down... or they smoke like *******!

Edited by tedster

The valves are ok, i have cleaned out the crank case breather and its only burning half its oil so a step in the right direction. I think as someone has all ready said it will take some time for the new rings to bed in, i will just have to keep an eye on the oil level.

Thanks

Chris