QB78

darren m

I bought one and tuned it and it's not a bad rifle after a bit of work, just make sure you chrono it if you do make any adjustments.

The co2 is a pain though, when shooting targets you spend as much time changing them as you do shooting, about every 45 shots when tuned.

You also need to keep an eye on the barrel during the colder weather as it attracts a lot of moister.

I have used mine for hunting and taken rabbits with it, keep an eye on the power level with the temperature, not just for going over when it's warm, but dropping in the cold if hunting.

• 10 months later...

I have one (.22) tuned by Ian Lamb of QBTune and quite frankly it's a match for my Air Arms S400 .22 out to 40 yards - I kid you not. Now whether I just got a good 'un I don't know but in the USA they have a cult following. As for the CO2 - no problem - I bought a MaxZBulk adapter from Max Balbuena and got a remote paintball hose and away you go. I use a Sodastream cylinder to bulk fill and I am getting as many shots as 2x12g capulets per fill at a fraction of the price. Why would you want more than 40 shots on a hunt anyway? You can save yourself a lot of money here. In cold weather I use a rechargeable hand warmer to warm the breech and have no problem whatsoever. It's putting out 11.5ft/lbs and the action/trigger is really sweet after Ian has worked his magic. These are really nice guns for the money but you WILL get carried away and start adding to the kit ie CO2 bulking, but it's just the same with PCP ie bottle or pump. The thing is the XS78 is really nice to handle and has the sleek looks of a .22 rimfire. You will either love it or hate it and I know which of those my money is on. Just don't be put off by people who -

1. have never owned one

2. never shot one for a fair time to give it a chance

3. people who jump on the 'Chinese ****' bandwagon

4. label snobs who wouldn't have anything but 'Daystate' 'Logun' etc. They don't know what fun they're missing.

Give it a fair chance and take some simple precautions in cold weather and away you go. :good:

4. label snobs who wouldn't have anything but 'Daystate' 'Logun' etc. They don't know what fun they're missing.

If they own a Daystate, Weirauch, AA, BSA etc I am sure there is nothing to be missed, simply in terms of build quality.

Its like comparing a Rapid to a Ratcatcher, just in different leagues.

If they own a Daystate, Weirauch, AA, BSA etc I am sure there is nothing to be missed, simply in terms of build quality.

Its like comparing a Rapid to a Ratcatcher, just in different leagues.

I do own an AA S400 and I agree with you as regards build quality but as those at the club have found out who've shot my XS78 (something I already knew) my S400 just doesn't have the same fun factor. I don't know how to explain it apart from, the S400 is 'clinical'. As for accuracy OK I agree some may have had bad experiences with some XS78's. I haven't and nor have any of my friends who actually have one. Some at my club pooh pooh'd it when I first went there but admitted they were only going off heresay not personal experience. Having now experienced it some are now singing a different song but some others won't actually try it - you can guess the reason of course. That was the only point I was trying to make - keep an open mind. BTW I actually know a guy who thinks S400's are **** - he owns a Daystate of course! :unsure: