Using clay loads for pigeons...didn't go well

I can perhaps see where you might blame a small shot size for wounding , but for missing ?? , surely that is down to your ability to put it in the right place.

I have shot many 1000s of pigeon with 7 1/2 s and just as many with 6s and I really cannot tell any difference in the amount that get wounded , if you put those clay loads in the right place at a sensible range then they will do the job fine.

:good: BB

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read a lot of the 6 vs 7.5 debates on here over the past few years, and as I'd never really shot pigeon in numbers, I couldn't comment. However I recently bagged some permission, and have had some good days over the past few months. Naturally, I tried a few loads and here's my opinion...

When decoying at 'short - medium' range I can honestly say I noticed no difference in kills (or meat damage) between 6s and 7.5s. HOWEVER, I remember shooting one 'rangier' pigeon with a 28g 7.5 that carried on some 100 yards before dropping the other side of a hedge. It took me and the dog 15minutes of searching before he brought it to hand, and it was still alive when he did. Whilst I'd probably only winged it, I couldn't help but wonder if it would have died had I been using a no.6.

That was enough to make my mind up and I've firmly settled on 6's now. Fibre wad every time too, as the cost difference is negligible IMO. I think the only reason people choose to use clay loads is cost. There are now several 'budget' pigeon loads on the market that do a fine job, the last lot I bought where £43 a slab in fibre (although the prices have since gone up).

For me, I'd rather pay a little more for cartridges and remove any doubt that I could injure a bird with a 7.5, that would possibly have been killed had I used a no.6. Based on an average days shooting, I bet your not even looking at an extra fiver!

Guest cookoff013

the last time this topic came up, one fact came up, sometimes economy shells labelled 7.5 can have any shotsize in there, 8s and 9s. its a lie, just like the fact shells rarely get the quoted speeds.

makes you htink.

I've read a lot of the 6 vs 7.5 debates on here over the past few years, and as I'd never really shot pigeon in numbers, I couldn't comment. However I recently bagged some permission, and have had some good days over the past few months. Naturally, I tried a few loads and here's my opinion...

When decoying at 'short - medium' range I can honestly say I noticed no difference in kills (or meat damage) between 6s and 7.5s. HOWEVER, I remember shooting one 'rangier' pigeon with a 28g 7.5 that carried on some 100 yards before dropping the other side of a hedge. It took me and the dog 15minutes of searching before he brought it to hand, and it was still alive when he did. Whilst I'd probably only winged it, I couldn't help but wonder if it would have died had I been using a no.6.

That was enough to make my mind up and I've firmly settled on 6's now. Fibre wad every time too, as the cost difference is negligible IMO. I think the only reason people choose to use clay loads is cost. There are now several 'budget' pigeon loads on the market that do a fine job, the last lot I bought where £43 a slab in fibre (although the prices have since gone up).

For me, I'd rather pay a little more for cartridges and remove any doubt that I could injure a bird with a 7.5, that would possibly have been killed had I used a no.6. Based on an average days shooting, I bet your not even looking at an extra fiver!

I'm sorry, but that is flawed logic.

I'm sorry, but that is flawed logic.

It isn't, although I admit the statement doesn't read very well.

A no.6 will do more damage than a 7.5 (assuming comparable velocity, antimony etc). Although it's probably unlikely, If a single stray pellet hit a pigeon at range I'd rather it was a no.6 than 7.5, hence why I use them.