Gun cabinet arrived today

spandit

My Sealey SEGS8 cabinet finally came today. Watched in bemusement as the driver tipped it out of the lorry so that the "this way up" arrow pointed downwards.

Lugged it inside (very heavy) and unpacked it, only to find that the top of the cabinet is dented and the hinge is slightly deformed, cracking the powder coat. They're sending me a new one but disappointed as trying to get new house organised.

I did notice that there were only two fixing holes in the back and the bolts supplied were a bit weedy (M8). I'll be using M10 and putting some stout coach screws through the base as well. The electronic bit is exactly the same as my cheapo safe, so not too enamoured with that but we'll see how it goes

Shootgun, if you're looking for a cabinet at that sort of price I'd get one of these,

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/buffalo-river-10-gun-safe-silver.html

Slightly larger but with proper locks, six fixing rear holes and fully lined interior. The electronic ones on the Sealey (as said above) are the same as the ones on the small cheap electronic safes and can be opened very, very easily.

Shootgun, if you're looking for a cabinet at that sort of price I'd get one of these,

http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/buffalo-river-10-gun-safe-silver.html

Slightly larger but with proper locks, six fixing rear holes and fully lined interior. The electronic ones on the Sealey (as said above) are the same as the ones on the small cheap electronic safes and can be opened very, very easily.

That's £360 mate... way way more than i would like to spend on a gun cabinet....

The Sealey SEGS8 is £395 so when you said you were after one as well I assumed you meant the same one.

If you're after something decent look at Brattonsound or Buffalo River, there's usually one or two cropping up in For Sale section most weeks.

£248 and some penneys for the Sealy, was another thread on it,

http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=SEGS8

but totally agree with you id be going for a bratton or similar when upgarde rather spend extra £100 and it last longer and be more secure :good:

think this is one om going to go for http://www.safesecurityservices.co.uk/brattonsound-sl7-p-288.html

Edited by maxus77

And of course always go for one at least 50% larger than you think you'll need (or double the size to be safe!) as we all know that when they say "6-7 guns" that's usually nice thin shotguns with no room to swing a cat and not rifles with scopes, turrets and/or bolts sticking out that you'd rather not knock getting them in and out.

My Buffalo River is a 520mm wide "10 gun" but realistically with target scopes and a couple of bipods added to the rifles it's a comfortable 6.

I also have a Brattonsound ST7+ "7 gun", again in the real world it will hold 4 x semi-auto (with sticky out cocking handles) and 1 O/U shotgun with spacing between them.

Had a look on the PVR site and to be honest the OP would be better off with the slightly cheaper SKGS8, it has a proper lock fitted. I don't think my FEO would pass the electronic version for a gun cabinet given the complete lack of security it provides

Edited by phaedra1106

I paid £227 for mine, delivered - new one came today.

It comes with 2 fixing bolts but they're not very big so used better ones which were a ****** to install in my old crumbly wall. Had trouble getting it properly solid until I put 4 big coach screws through the plywood sheet it was sitting on and through into the floorboards. It's jeffing heavy so not going to be easy to steal and has bolts every side of the door.

Have seem that potato video - have the same safe and no amount of thumping opens it. There's not a lot of room above my cabinet to get a decent swing anyway.

I don't think my FEO would pass the electronic version for a gun cabinet given the complete lack of security it provides

In which case you would have a case for BASC as there is no requirement for a certain type of locking mechanism. The sealey 8 gun is a great cabinet for the money. I also have a Brattonsound 5 gun which was the same money and whilst slightly better built in some respects, it sure makes the Sealey look good value for money.

Bratton Sound all the way !! I fixed mine by drilling big ugly holes into the brickwork, filled each hole with Anchor-Fix ( 2 part chemical fixer ) then poked a 6 inch bit of thread bar into each hole with a nut on the end......wiped off the excess gunk that spewed forth..........leave overnight.........place cabinet against wall..............put chunky washer over bar and do up yer nuts on the inside !!!

You would need a jeep to pull this bad boy off the wall !!!! :ninja:

Landlord wont be too happy when I move out though !!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: tough.............he's a tool !!!

I nearly resorted to chemical fastenings but managed to get the expanding ones tight in the end. Just a shame there weren't more fixing holes on the back.

Regarding security, don't know why an electronic one is deemed to be much less secure. With an angle grinder I could open any Bratton Sound without the key - might take a while but they're still thin steel. I'll keep you posted as to what the FEO says when he/she comes round

I nearly resorted to chemical fastenings but managed to get the expanding ones tight in the end. Just a shame there weren't more fixing holes on the back.

Regarding security, don't know why an electronic one is deemed to be much less secure. With an angle grinder I could open any Bratton Sound without the key - might take a while but they're still thin steel. I'll keep you posted as to what the FEO says when he/she comes round

Don't worry Spandit, the cabinet will be fine I am sure. As long as its not moving and firmly fixed then you'll be good to go.

Your correct re the Brattonsound cabinets, or any cabinet for that matter. Angle grinder, torch etc will get you into any one of them. My FEO has said to me in the past, "if they really want to get into the cabinet, they will". Your job is just to prevent that as much as physically possible.

Just as a matter of course I always use a high strength adhesive (Gripfill etc) when fitting any cabinets. I have found the best thing to do is to cover the back and the base of the cabinet with the stuff and also fill the holes you have drilled for the bolts to go in. Use a tube of that and as many bolts as possible and its going nowhere!!