Remington versamax deal @ Midland game fair

solz

just a head up to anyone thinking about getting a remington versamax

Ladds guns, a very good gun shop from down devon have posted on there website that they are doing a deal on the versamax

their deal is the gun for £699, which is a massive saving!

http://www.laddsguns.com/slide_pageWS.asp

just thought ill yet people no :)

How good are these guys?

Been planning getting a Beretta A400 or an M2. How do these compare?

I have one , a good gun not had any jams at all so far , soft shooting and handles well , a little heavy compared to some but it does not bother me now I have adjusted.

Only gripe I have is the end cap works itself loose after a few shots , and the stock bolt came loose to , I fixed that by applying a drop of thread lock.

Much easier to clean that the beretta.

• 1 month later...

Very good price for a fowling gun to abuse on the marsh.

Mixed reveiws on reliability put me off, at that price its worth taking a chance.

Figgy

pick one of these up at the midland game fair with the view that if it was no good i could pass it on at that price.

put a couple of thousand rounds of various loads up to the max 31/2" thru and its spat out everything without a single glitch.

i like the thing does what it says on the tin.

it is a tad on the heavy side

was going to buy a new Berreta outlander but the extra £120 quid , one choke and the odd jam put me off.

the retaining nut issue was fixed with an upgrade which is obviously standard on the latest model.

time will tell if the affair will last :)

Edited by Remimax

I have also had a good 2k shells through mine now , its had nothing cleaning wise other than a rod and pull through of the barrel and as yet I have not had a jam with any thing from 67mm 28 gram to 3 1/2 steel loads .

I am very impressed so far and shoot very well with it .

Where did you get the retaining nut from ? , my only gripes was that it comes loose , the stock bolt also kept coming loose after a few shots but I sorted that with a drop of loctite

I have also had a good 2k shells through mine now , its had nothing cleaning wise other than a rod and pull through of the barrel and as yet I have not had a jam with any thing from 67mm 28 gram to 3 1/2 steel loads .

I am very impressed so far and shoot very well with it .

Where did you get the retaining nut from ? , my only gripes was that it comes loose , the stock bolt also kept coming loose after a few shots but I sorted that with a drop of loctite

has you retaining nut got loads of small teeth inside it and the mag tube end has serated fingers that engage with it.

i'm told the origional nut was just a plain affair which use to unwind.

mine came with the upgraded nut being new.

if you don't have the later upgrade a call to the main dealer should get a free upgrade no quibble.

its a 60 second swap of 2 parts.

the plastic mag spring retainer with serated"Fingers" and new serated cap.

main dealer use to be edgar brothers but i think its changed recently.

Edited by Remimax

has you retaining nut got loads of small teeth inside it and the mag tube end has serated fingers that engage with it.

if you don't have the later upgrade a call to the main dealer should get a free upgrade no quibble.

Edgar Brothers told me as from mid-Oct the importer is to be SMK at Colchester,Essex, which incidentally is only 14miles from me :yes:

result then .

take it you have the old retainer.

No. I bought mine from Essex Gun in Sept 2012 and it came with the 'new' retainer and it certainly works as I've put some 4'000 shells through mine and it hasn't come loose once. But I did need a new 'rats tail' and a new hammer in the same week! That's when EB told me about the change of importer. As posted previously I paid £1350 :sad1:

Regards Remmyman

No. I bought mine from Essex Gun in Sept 2012 and it came with the 'new' retainer and it certainly works as I've put some 4'000 shells through mine and it hasn't come loose once. But I did need a new 'rats tail' and a new hammer in the same week! That's when EB told me about the change of importer. As posted previously I paid £1350 :sad1:

Regards Remmyman

ouch thats a bit of a price difference ,

what happened to the hammer did it fail?

which bits the rats tail so i can keep an eye out.

nothing like being clued up on poss failure points.

Yes mine is all serated but still works itself loose after a few shots

ouch thats a bit of a price difference ,

what happened to the hammer did it fail?

which bits the rats tail so i can keep an eye out.

nothing like being clued up on poss failure points.

The hammer broke right at the sear, was shooting 100 skeet doubles at the time, not impressed. As to the 'rat's tail', its the steelwork that attaches to the bolt, the two pieces of pressed steel that return into the stock upon firing, in other words. Had one fail on my old Beretta A303. It was s/hand when I bought it and it took another 50,000 rounds for it to fail!!

Regards Remmyman

The hammer broke right at the sear, was shooting 100 skeet doubles at the time, not impressed. As to the 'rat's tail', its the steelwork that attaches to the bolt, the two pieces of pressed steel that return into the stock upon firing, in other words. Had one fail on my old Beretta A303. It was s/hand when I bought it and it took another 50,000 rounds for it to fail!!

Regards Remmyman

yep thats pretty major component failure on a shotgun thats designed for such heavy loads.

yep thats pretty major component failure on a shotgun thats designed for such heavy loads.

The guy in the armoury at EB agreed, especially when I told him that I'd only put about 100 36g steel through it, the rest had only been 1oz clay loads or 32g sixes. He stated that it was the first hammer that he'd known to fail!

Regards Remmyman

Picked one up the the fair as well. Again bought it thinking it s going to be average. After shooting it a bit, I'm glad I got it. Kicks a lot less than a benelli and is super reliable. Shot 21g loads straight out of the box. Few dislikes though. Only comes with a 28 inch barrel over here. Hopefully with remington setting themselves up here, other barrels with be available. A for the gun, shot about 350 rounds through it and the receivers finish has started to chip from the top rear side of the ejection port. Also the rear of the receiver on the inside has taken a beating from wear the bolt hit's it as its cycling round. Maybe remington should have designed a recoil buffer?

Other than that I'm glad I drove from London to the fair to get it. For practical it definitely beats my 1187. Can't outrun this trigger!

Definitely a very underrated gun.

Edited by timmy1146