Gun cabinet fixing

Fal

Morning all,

I have recently bought a newly ronnovated house, ALL the walls are dry lined. Not a single stone wall exposed internally.

I have thought of a few things, I can either cut out a section of plaster board and insulation, which i dont really want to do, then fit it to the stone wall or hope that I can find some wood frame close enough together to fix it to the plaster board but into the wood.

Any of you run into this issue in the past? If so, what did you do to get round it?

I could probably put it up the attic, but I dont really want to have to go up and down there each time I want to get the guns out.

Cheers,

Rhodri

You might find there is no wood to screw into - dry lining is quite often just stuck on with plaster.

If you drill through the plasterboard and into the wall behind, you could fit some long chemical studs. My cabinet bolts through the floor too with 4 coach screws (it's sat on a piece of plywood to spread the weight but the screws go straight through that and into the floorboards

When I first installed my cabinet I was in a new build flat and there wasnt a piece of stone to be seen,

What I did was I had a built in wardrobe, and all I did was bolt the cabinet to the wall using heavy duty plasterboard fixings, I bolted it to the floor also which luckily was concrete, and then I built a stud frame out around my cabinet and dry lined it so only 4 inches of the cabinet were protruding giving the Impression it was sunk into the wall.

FAO took one look at it and said that's not going anywhere.

I took a photo half way through the process if I can find it ill post it.

Good luck

Kyle

Edited by Subaru_sti5

You might find there is no wood to screw into - dry lining is quite often just stuck on with plaster.

If you drill through the plasterboard and into the wall behind, you could fit some long chemical studs. My cabinet bolts through the floor too with 4 coach screws (it's sat on a piece of plywood to spread the weight but the screws go straight through that and into the floorboards

+1

Chemical anchors into the wall behind the dry lining and threaded studs set into the chemical anchor resin.

U can fit it in a loft mate that's wat they told me

Totally agree but many years ago I heard somewhere(probably when cabinets were first becoming the way to secure shotguns) that some police forces tried to put people off putting them in the loft. There thinking behind this was that if you put a cabinet somewhere that was awkward to get into there would be more chance of people not bothering to put their guns away. Like I said, that was when cabinets were just starting to become the norm and I wouldn't think this would be an issue now as everyone is much more aware of the need for secure storage.