Closed certificate conditions dropped

Davyo

As title my 14yr old son got his FAC & SGC's granted today.The FAC was granted open.With a cover letter saying "Following a recent change to procdure, we are now using a single condition with regard to firearms which are used over land.You are reminded that it is your responsibility to obtain the relevent permission from the land owner, or from the person from whom shooting rights may be obtained, in respect of the use of your firearms".I take it that the other condition was the closed condition. Is there any other recent FAC applicants in the Durham area had this information slip attached?

Dont know if this is a good or a bad thing. My FAC is closed, but I never view it as a restriction as such because if I gain a new perm I just drop Durham an email and they reply saying its now added to my file & the go ahead to shoot.

Edited by Davyo

A very good thing if your new land isn't yet 'cleared' for the calibres one wishes to use. I have this case right now and the land is in a different county. My FEO has told me it is likely to be some time until cleared and so until then, I can't shoot.

I find the whole question of the police having to authorise an individual to shoot a particular calibre on a particular piece of land rather difficult to understand. If we are not responsible or 'experienced' enough to know when a shot is safe, we surely shouldn't have been granted an FAC in the first place.

A very good thing if your new land isn't yet 'cleared' for the calibres one wishes to use. I have this case right now and the land is in a different county. My FEO has told me it is likely to be some time until cleared and so until then, I can't shoot.

I find the whole question of the police having to authorise an individual to shoot a particular calibre on a particular piece of land rather difficult to understand. If we are not responsible or 'experienced' enough to know when a shot is safe, we surely shouldn't have been granted an FAC in the first place.

That's something I can't understand regarding the way the mainland forces operate.

In NI you must submit land with your application, mainly to demonstrate good reason (I.e you've somewhere to actually use the gun). The FEO will then check the land to ensure it is not unsuitable (from a safety standpoint). However once you get your FAC you are free to shoot wherever you have permission and the onus is on you the responsible shooter to ensure each shot is safe.

Slip states, Following a recent change in procedure, we are now using a single condition with regard to firearms which sre used over land.

You are reminded that it is your responsibility to obtain the relevant permission from the land owner, or from whom shooting rights may be obtained, in respect to the use of your firearms

The condition on the FAC reads The firearm and ammunition shall be used for shooting ANY LAWFUL QUARRY SUITABLE FOR THAT CALABRE and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

Edited by Davyo

Slip states, Following a recent change in procedure, we are now using a single condition with regard to firearms which sre used over land.

You are reminded that it is your responsibility to obtain the relevant permission from the land owner, or from whom shooting rights may be obtained, in respect to the use of your firearms

The condition on the FAC reads The firearm and ammunition shall be used for shooting ANY LAWFUL QUARRY SUITABLE FOR THAT CALABRE and for zeroing on ranges or land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.

That's right

Edited by JOHN BOY

Never had any problems what so ever with Durham fire arms department, very efficent and seem to be one of the more sensible police forces.

OK but are they not the one that is asking for a doctors report and you will have to pay for it ......

Edited by hawkeye

Durham can be very hit and miss not to mention completely wrong and inflexible on things.

As for the doctors report, do not supply one, you aren't required to by law or HO guidance.

If they want one they have to get it not you. If they say otherwise refuse and contact your shooting organisation and even if not a member report it to David (BASC) on here as I believe BASC have had discussions with Durham about this already.

Your right hawkeye doctors report £40 for SGC & £40 for FAC.

My renewal went in last week without the medical report as my doctor refused to do it so I saved the £40 :yahoo:

Durham can be very hit and miss not to mention completely wrong and inflexible on things.

As for the doctors report, do not supply one, you aren't required to by law or HO guidance.

If they want one they have to get it not you. If they say otherwise refuse and contact your shooting organisation and even if not a member report it to David (BASC) on here as I believe BASC have had discussions with Durham about this already.

A lot of people on here rely heavily on basc, as its a matter for us shooters why haven't basc already done something about this. Luck for me my doctor doesn't charge a yearly subscription and isn't shy putting the police in their place when needed. :good:

Edited by Luckyshot