Which to buy

joelacks

I'm wanting to buy an air rifle but i'm not really sure which to get, i am open to either .177 or .22 but a lot of people i have read say there isnt much of a difference at this kind of power. I am looking at 11ft/lb spring rifles with a budget of £150-£200 some people have reccomended me the crosman phantom .177 and the smk custom carbine sx19 .22. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hey mate, welcome to the site. :) where do you live? The big difference between the two is the trajectory. The .177 gives a nice flat path, at a higher velocity, but less impact power - as the pellet is lighter. .22 is just the opposite of al that! .177 is a bit more forgiving if you get the distance to the target slightly wrong, but more affected by wind.

For that sort of money, the XS19 is pretty popular, but I'd really look at the Hatsan Model 60S (.22 cal) or the Model 55S (.177). you get a lot of rifle for your money and they really last well :). New they're about £150 mark, which would give you money for a scope on top

What are you going to be using it for? Have you got a local club to which you can go and meet people and try out their guns?

Hey mate, welcome to the site. :) where do you live? The big difference between the two is the trajectory. The .177 gives a nice flat path, at a higher velocity, but less impact power - as the pellet is lighter. .22 is just the opposite of al that! .177 is a bit more forgiving if you get the distance to the target slightly wrong, but more affected by wind.

For that sort of money, the XS19 is pretty popular, but I'd really look at the Hatsan Model 60S (.22 cal) or the Model 55S (.177). you get a lot of rifle for your money and they really last well :). New they're about £150 mark, which would give you money for a scope on top

What are you going to be using it for? Have you got a local club to which you can go and meet people and try out their guns?

Thank you =D i realise i forgot to mention quite a lot! I am going to be moving house very soon which is why i can get an air rifle (since i currently live in a large town) i am moving to a place with plenty of land. I will be using it for target shooting and also a little bit of hunting, so i want something with plenty or impact power for a clean kill. I dont know of any clubs at the moment but i will look into that. Thank you for the guns you suggested i will have a look at them =)

Get an smk SG in 22 cost 120 max and 160/180 with a nice scope and mounts this is my rifle i paid 110 and hit 3/4' groups at 35 yards but thats my shooting :D it knocks down field targets at 50 yards more then enough for a clean kill at 30 yards cheap synthetic stock and trigger but I can't ask for better! Goodluck

Edited by Robert manchester gun

Do not know where you are buying your Hatsan rifles from but the RFD near me is selling the 55 and 60 (current models) for £95!

Where does Joelacks live?

Thank you =D i realise i forgot to mention quite a lot! I am going to be moving house very soon which is why i can get an air rifle (since i currently live in a large town) i am moving to a place with plenty of land. I will be using it for target shooting and also a little bit of hunting, so i want something with plenty or impact power for a clean kill. I dont know of any clubs at the moment but i will look into that. Thank you for the guns you suggested i will have a look at them =)

Where do you live mate? There's bound to be someone on here that can recommend a club to you!

I have a gamo whisper .22 12ft/lb which does the job well enough, i can knock a bottle cap off a branch at 50 yards and best shot I remember doing was 72ish yards on a windy day. It's pretty light too, but I think I got mine new from the shop at £200 odd. Also, as it's only about 3kg, it does seem to kick lol. but it's a nice gun altogether.

• 3 weeks later...

Save up a little bit more and buy a .177 Air Arms TX200-if you buy a cheaper gun you will end up trading up for a better one within a matter of months so why not buy a decent rifle from the word go? It will loose little in resale value and the improvement in power and accuracy will give you more pleasure as you use it. If you budget about £300 you should be able to pick up a gun that will last you a lifetime.

Edited by bruno22rf

Save up a little bit more and buy a .177 Air Arms TX200-if you buy a cheaper gun you will end up trading up for a better one within a matter of months so why not buy a decent rifle from the word go? It will loose little in resale value and the improvement in power and accuracy will give you more pleasure as you use it. If you budget about £300 you should be able to pick up a gun that will last you a lifetime.

True story.