A warm hello from Bristol

Hi there. I've decided to join and first of all say hello and second a big Thanks for keeping up one of the best shooting forums out there. I've been reading your topics for about 2 years now but never actually joined a forum .. 'till now . Thanks to you guys I've decided to lock the rods and do something I've allways dreamed of. I've just moved over from Germany, been living there for 4 years ... full of bunnies and pigeons everywhere but the germans only allow you a max 6ft air rifle without a license so I had to postpone my dream :) . Now scanning to market and deciding if should I start with a spring and go up from there and should I go for PCP right away ? I like to look at it like driving a car ... I've started with manual gearbox so I could learn and drive properly and now I can just relax with an automated one :).

Sorry for taking your time with my long post and sorry for any misspelling as english it's not my 1st language.

Gabriel

Hi mate,

Go for a springer to begin with and then get a PCP.

HW97K and then something like an Air Arms s510 would be good.

Although find somewhere you can try them out and you'll both see and feel the difference

Hiya and welcome to the mad house.

:yahoo::welcomeani::yahoo:

Have a look round for an HFT (Hunter Field Target) club near you. That way you can learn to shoot safely and have a look at what people are using. Hopefully you can try a few.

Spring guns are great. They are self contained but can take some time to get used to. PCP rifles are quieter as there is no mechanical movement of large springs and don't give you the recoil that a spring gun will. Hence the time to get used to it. If you learn to shoot a spring gun well then you can shoot anything.

There is a drawback to PCP's. You will need an air supply. This will take the form of a divers tank or a pump and the cost needs to be added to the outlay but once you have it you can use it for any gun you buy. If you are young and fit a pump will be OK but otherwise a 3 litre divers bottle will do. You can take it with you but leave it in the car. Besides I have yet to meet the person who could carry 30 or so bunnies back from the hunt. Fill it up before you go and you will be OK.

The next question is .177 or .22. I'm not going to open up that can of worms but there are pro's and con's for and against each. .177 trajectory is flatter but is more prone to deviation with wind. .22 has a more looping trajectory and is less dependant on wind. Both are good but personally I prefer .22 as the terminal energy is better. That is purely a personal opinion as both will kill bunnies. It's down to field craft to get close to them (30 - 40 yds max).

Practise, practise, practise some more before you point your rifle at live prey as it deserves respect as a living thing. You have the responsibility to ensure a clean kill with all prey. I have moved on from .22 air to FAC rimfire but still practise with air power to hone my skills.

I would start looking at second hand PCP and spring rifles as you can get these at very reasonable prices. You won't go far wrong with Air Arms TX200 as a spring gun and Air Arms S410. The latter has a 10 shot magazine whereas the former is single shot. This is another thing to take into consideration. Are you going to be able to fiddle about loading a .177 and cocking the rifle to get off a second shot? Personally I don't want to fiddle about. I want the shot available there and then.

I hope this has been of use so get your gun, go out and enjoy this fabulous sport. Don't forget you can't get fresher food on the table and it ain't got any added colourants, flavour enhancers etc.

Edited by Uncle Albert

Thank you all for the warm welcome and thanks a lot "Uncle Albert" :) for your time , you did cover all the questions that a beginner will ask. I've narrowed my search and AA TX200 (Full size or HC) vs HW97 (K or normal) . I've decided that I will start with a springer, I would love a PCP don't get me wrong but I would have to increase my budget ( £700 - £800 for a decent rifle + £150 for a divers tank ) when on the other hand a springer will cost me £400 - £450 , I will go for a new one as I never buy used products :) maybe just the cars.

I don't wanna get out there, spend a fortune and find out that there's no HFT clubs around my arrea, or have to wait 2 years to join or they meet up just a day or two per week, I will never know when I can get out there for an hour or two so I can have some fun... family , job, friends you name it :) . I need to check with my neighbors if they mind me practice in my back garden, and if they do then God knows, maybe go around the local farms but from I've read theres nothing out there available, will see maybe will find a farmer who won't mind me using a corner of his estate to practice my shooting. About the fresh food ... I love cooking and look forward to the day when I will prepare a rabbit shooted by me.

Edited by Gabrielcosmin.dinu

Very wise Gabriel as you never know how the rifle has been looked after. If you go on the UK HFT website it will tell you where the local clubs are located. Don't be shy they are all very friendly and will help you. Local gunshops will also give you the information. Most shoot once a fortnight to avoid planning laws (if they want to shoot every week then planning permission is needed). They are very sociable chaps and chapesses and all those I have met are up for a giggle and a bit of banter.

Clubs often have competitions where you can shoot tin chickens, rabbits and similar targets. In HFT you shoot life-size animal targets (and some funny targets). Somewhere on the body of the target there is a "Kill Zone." The kill zones vary according to the distance to the target and can range from 15mm to 40mm out to a distance of 45 yds. Hit the kill zone and the target flops over. Pull a string and it resets itself. You get 2 points for a kill and one if you just hit the "Plate" (the rest of the target.

If you go along you should be able to have a go at a number of different rifles. You may even find someone who has one to sell. Take advise on other members of the club as to how the person looks after their rifles. You can get some excellent bargains. Our HFT club has PCP and spring rifles which we loan out to new shooters so they can have a go. I should imagine other clubs are in a similar position. Get a contact number and give them a bell.

I for one find HFT, which is designed to mimic the hunting situation, is a lot more difficult than hunting for rabbits but still a good way of honing one's skill in range finding.

Edited by Uncle Albert

• 2 weeks later...