Cartridges source.

I hope this is a legitimate question: I guess some folks buy from Solware. Returning to shooting after a long lay-off, I've been looking around online and they seem to offer the best prices (I'm looking for basic 28or30/6 for decoyed pigeons, 32/5or4 for duck). In fact, it seems it would be marginally less expensive for me to buy from them and pay the £15 carriage than to buy from the sources I know locally in Central Scotland. But am I missing something; is there a better source? Comments appreciated.

The only thing is, you might save a few pennies through going with justcartridges ...

but cartridges are the equivalent of baked bean sales in the supermarket for any RFD. they are low margin, but bring in customers who then buy other things (gun oil, maybe even look at and buy another gun). Lose the cartridge sales, and you may, in the not too distant future, not have an RFD local to you.

If / when that happens, the convenience and small savings from ordering cartridges online will soon be outweighed

Thanks for your comments, folks.

I sent off for cartridges from solware to be delivered to the islands, they were handed in to the police in Inverness by the post office (the cartridges were sent by post!) I then had to arrange a carrier to collect and deliver at extra cost

Sorry to hear that, Islandgun. And thanks for the alert. I'll look out for that if I use Solware. So, may I ask where you get your cartridges now? Have you tried Malloch in Perth? Somebody recommended them, though I've never used them and I expect them to be dear. Rightly or wrongly, I expect them to be one of those fairly common old Scottish firms that think of themselves as national institutions to which we should all pay homage and lots of dosh. But I might well be wrong! Sad day if you can't get a place in Scotland which offers a good range of makes at a reasonable price. It's beginning to look like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Apart from the large order (for me) from solware I get the few cartridges I need from Grahams Inverness, Dunvegan gunshop, or Inges garage Lewis but I am just starting to load my own which is proving to be very interesting. good luck

You have Macleods of Tain as well, and if you are ordering larger quantities (eg 250+) I could put you in contact with a guy in inverness that deals with some pheasant shoots. (He's generally Hull though).

Cheers

Chacotawas, I use We're Game in Kirkcaldy and their prices are OK. I'm sure they are not the cheapest, but by no means the most expensive either. Like lots of little shops they won't carry a huge range of makes, but I am sure Andy could order in for you.

They mainly stock Gamebore and the prices that Andy offers are pretty much similar to Just Cartridges per 1000. He is a nice fella too so maybe worth a phone call.

Edited by grrclark

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your helpful replies, gentlemen. Looks as if it'll be Solware for me- with guarantees on delivery. My initial order will be less than £200 as I try out a range of cartridges for three purposes: decoyed pigeon, walked-up pigeon, pheasant, etc., and flighted duck. (Incidentally,I've found some fascinating stuff on optimum loads/shot sizes in a book by Eric Begbie the well-known wildfowler from around Tillicoultry near Stirling. It was interesting to me, a rookie, anyway. I'm going to post it- on Guns and Equipment, I think).