Rabbits on Site

HAYBURN

Hi

I was on holiday at at caravan site in Scotland,which has a massive rabbit problem.When leaving the site to come back home, I handed a business card into the reception. The girl said she would pass this onto the owner.I received an email from him asking me how I was going to help him reduce this problem,as the site do not allow guns of any sort to be used.

PROBLEMS

1.. Not many rabbit burrows about, all rabbits under the caravans which are not boxed in.

2.. Went out with my torch at night you could see the rabbits under the van.

3.. Would long netting work,(What would be the best way to set up)

** I was hoping to use air rifle but this is a no no**

Any suggestions would help.......

When the sun was out they were sun bathing. :lol::lol::lol:post-12735-0-79940600-1382298999_thumb.jpg

They will have holes some where....if they are out in the open then setting up long nets will not work very as they will move off as they see you.

Usually you flush rabbits out of cover (a warren) or scrub. We long net at night only once or twice a year when every thing is right (windy no moon)

I would keep pushing them off and see where they end up...if they head in a certain direction and it is far enough from the picture then you could have a chance but they will wise up quickly. Also the cost of enough net will not cover the money from the rabbits.

Tricky one so don't be sticking your hand in the air that fast...

TEH

Site is open all year...........

when i was walking round the site,you could get up close to them (2 yards) before they moved.

even on the wide open areas they didn't move much....At no time did they go under ground...

I counted 170 rabbits.....the ones near the vans run under the decking an you could see them...never see any go down a hole..

when i was walking round the site,you could get up close to them (2 yards) before they moved.

even on the wide open areas they didn't move much....At no time did they go under ground...

I counted 170 rabbits.....the ones near the vans run under the decking an you could see them...never see any go down a hole..

Then you have a chance, we have 700-800 yards of long nets and gate nets. Our long nets are set up on fixed poles as that keeps the net cleaner with the areas we cover. The other method would suit your nice clean grass area and it is cheaper to set up.

Your best bet is to punt around and find someone who has nets and get it done..

TEH

If you're getting that close you could whack em on the head with a long stick :D

That's what i was thinking when i was standing next to them.... :hmm:

Then you have a chance, we have 700-800 yards of long nets and gate nets. Our long nets are set up on fixed poles as that keeps the net cleaner with the areas we cover. The other method would suit your nice clean grass area and it is cheaper to set up.

Your best bet is to punt around and find someone who has nets and get it done..

TEH

Thanks for your feedback I will take your advice on board....

if you can get to within 2 yards get a big fighing landing net and catch them lol

coli n

Could you not wait till the site closed season and use terriers to flush the bunnys from under the vans to a couple of whippet type lurchers?

I do it for a site in Anglesey ( the family have been on there for 50 years) but I stay in the van when the season ends and shoot them off the deckings it's brill not a soul to be seen and the place to myself,

Ferrets and netting is the way to go mate, Most caravan owners would be glad of someone doing it , the base and the drains will soon collapse with rabbits burrowing under them

Atb

Flynny

I do it for a site in Anglesey ( the family have been on there for 50 years) but I stay in the van when the season ends and shoot them off the deckings it's brill not a soul to be seen and the place to myself,

Ferrets and netting is the way to go mate, Most caravan owners would be glad of someone doing it , the base and the drains will soon collapse with rabbits burrowing under them

Atb

Flynny

HI Flynny

I wish this site was closed for the winter.sounds as though you had good sport..... :yes: .

Waiting on word back from the site owner

Keep you all posted

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I got a call from the caravan site owner, he doesn,t want the rabbit numbers reduced at present as a large population of them have mixy..I was about to ask him if I could call him this time next year..... he asked me to call him in the middle of the next year.

GUTTED :(