tried my sillysocks today

lozrob

went out this morning for the first time in weeks .

had to try out my christmas present from the missus , sillysocks.

it took me 2 1/2 hours to find the pigeons , they were on the rape , last place i looked. :yes:

the socks worked , they pulled the woodies in no problem. :lol:

but only got 2 out of 12 shots, must be all that christmas pud.

also the weirdest thing happened to one of the socks , a kestrel attacked it , not once but twice

he must have wondered what the hell was going on. :yes:

i suppose its a lot to do with the U.V. light .

anyway although there wasnt a lot of woodies about today, the socks pulled the few that were about.

cant wait untill next week to try now they are back on the rape.

anybody else had any luck with the sillysocks.

i have just read elsewhere on the world wide web , that our clothes give off UV light ,

if this is right maybe when we are trying to hide behind bits of camo net,

woodie can see us anyway.

has anybody got any light on the subject ( get it , any light ------ oh well )

i need to buy a new jacket , and want to make sure it doesnt light up the whole field.

eagerly await anybodys sensible input.

i have just read elsewhere on the world wide web , that our clothes give off UV light ,

if this is right maybe when we are trying to hide behind bits of camo net,

woodie can see us anyway.

has anybody got any light on the subject ( get it , any light ------ oh well )

i need to buy a new jacket , and want to make sure it doesnt light up the whole field.

eagerly await anybodys sensible input.

Washing powders - - - phosphorants or what ever.......I was told that piggies can see these............ and that they are used in washing powders.............

I dont wash my gear in washing powder.............

As for UV.................I was also told that standard military cammo had a "coating" that was UV resistant....

But dont know how true either of them is...........

Im just grotty...............I dont wash my hunting gear.............. Cammo is about breaking up shape........behind a net...you dont look fully human....

Normal attire when decoying or roosting is a barbour, that is now into it's 20th year and still going strong.

It goes back to barbour about every 7 years for a refurb but if it has a UV signature I would be amazed as it spends most of its time covered in mud!!!!

Jerry

(Did anyone notice the wet dog smell.....)

i had sillosocks for xmas not tryed them yet, cant wait no pigeons on my rape yet.

Ditto

I now have 20 woodies and the hypa flapper, like you mossy most of the birds here are still in the trees and not deeking at all, however we have pulled in the few birds that are about so early indication is they work very well, the weight saving is a real bonus.

I also got 10 pink feet geese and am waiting on 10 more, with luck today. Last time we took 20 geese deeks out it took 3 of us to carry them! These silly socks slide between two pieces of hard board and a banji cord keeps them safe and flat packed in my ruck sack, the mounting stays are kept in a ally tube.......mint :blink:

i had sillosocks for xmas not tryed them yet, cant wait no pigeons on my rape yet.

Ditto

I now have 20 woodies and the hypa flapper, like you mossy most of the birds here are still in the trees and not deeking at all, however we have pulled in the few birds that are about so early indication is they work very well, the weight saving is a real bonus.

I also got 10 pink feet geese and am waiting on 10 more, with luck today. Last time we took 20 geese deeks out it took 3 of us to carry them! These silly socks slide between two pieces of hard board and a banji cord keeps them safe and flat packed in my ruck sack, the mounting stays are kept in a ally tube.......mint :lol:

Glad you're luvvin your Sillos Dan. We're getting nothing but great comments from the Wildfowlers regarding the Sillo Geese and Duck. Obviously with the lack of Pigeons most people who have brought the Sillo Pigeons are still waiting to try them but I know everyones goin to be saying the same once they've tried 'em!

:lol:

Call me an old sceptic but how come if we shine so bright through Woodies eyes, or as I understand it, through almost any birds eyes that we decoy them at all?

For thousands perhaps millions of years, in fact even now, hunters, pigeon shooters and shooters in general have been getting close to their quarry without the benefits of uv coatings, washing powders etc etc. :good:

I’ve seen and read the reports that are now circulating about birds abilities and uv but I can’t help thinking (with apologies to Mr :P that behind it all there lurks a marketing man with a mission. :lol:

Oh and if you think I’m gonna cover myself in deer musk or fox **** when out stalking think again! Thanks yank but I reckon that’s having a laugh too far! :P