Long shot!

Darno

Went out for a walk with the dog and after about an hour still had nothing!

Was stood next to a tall hedge waiting for something to fly I've and I saw a lone crow cruising over. Any way it must have seen my rapidly receding hairline and kept a distance of about 60-70 yards.( I guess but it was a long way)

I suppose out of frustration I thought to myself il give it a barrel! I'm only gonna miss it!

As I say, it was only cruising along but I gave it about 10-12ft of lead and selected the second barrel as it's tighter choke!

Pulled and ........dead!

Took ages to find as it landed a good 100 yards from where I was stood but I was so chuffed!

Not to say I think I can kill everything at that distance! But was probably my best shot yet!

Well done that man. Reminds of a time manys ago when my grandfather was alive and had a couple of fields in the country and next door kept ducks and asked if we saw any jays to shoot them as they were taking the eggs, well I was with my father and a jay went in a tree must of been 60/70 yards away I had a single BSA 12 bore ejector with 32" barrels and three quarter choke, so took aim at the tree and let rip asked if I got it my father said sod all flew out and dam sure he not stayed there if I missed. Never did find the jay must of got wedge in tree not nice rather find the kill. Still have the BSA in my collection still tight as day it was new.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Brampton clay shoot yesterday and on the last stand there was a full size clay coming straight at you from some distance and is left would land some 30ft in front of yo and then a midi coming from in front to the right and crossing to land on your left same distance away...... as the last to shoot I was watching my fellow guns and the first seemed easy but the second was almost impossible and when they got the second they had missed the first.... This was the first time I had shot the gun since it had been extended and had a mixed day but a vast improvement on past shoot. My turn came up and I stood at the stand and in my mind I was back on the hide.... pigeons coming in - one at me and one crossing unsure ...... I hit 8 out of 10 missing the easy first clays......

I thought of all those times I had hilt a high bird and re-told the storey and you get that look...... well I may not have the highest scores yet but I am getting there :-)