Bit puzzled (mod not on fac)

Here goes.... I really don't want to get anyone in trouble here, including myself! So suggestions are most welcome;

I recently bought a moderator for my .22/250, brand new and from an RFD. I handed him my fac and he busied himself with the paperwork and chatting. When I next used my fac at a local shop, I noticed he hadn't entered it onto my ticket (I do have the relevant slot).

This was only a couple of days later, I decided to leave informing the police of the purchase until I'd checked whether I needed to and found out what to do about getting it entered on my certificate. Life happens and it's now a good few weeks ago, so I guess I'm already in the bad books for not letting the police know I bought a moderator.

Any idea how I can get everything squared away without dropping the dealer in it and without it coming back to bite me in the *****? I don't know if the dealer would have informed the police about the sale, or even if it's required to do so for a moderator but I'm pretty sure it should be on my certificate.

Speak to the RFD and arrange to get your FC sent to him for it to be added to it.

You have no reason to notify the ploice of your purchase as the RFD will do that.

You can if you wish to update your FC but it isn't necessary.

I beg to differ. See Note A 2 on the back of your certificate

Section 32 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 requires the holder of a FAC to notify their chief officer of police of the purchase or acquisition of a firearm.

Speak to the RFD and arrange to get your FC sent to him for it to be added to it.

You have no reason to notify the ploice of your purchase as the RFD will do that.

You can if you wish to update your FC but it isn't necessary.

I beg to differ. See Note A 2 on the back of your certificate

Section 32 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 requires the holder of a FAC to notify their chief officer of police of the purchase or acquisition of a firearm.

I have to say I'm with CharlieT on this one EMcC.

I know some RFD have a form for you to sign there and then and they send it off for you, and they notify the Police as well, this becomes YOUR notification. I have run into this a couple of times but I have always advised my region as well! :yes::good:

At the meeting for my FAC the firearms officer told me that both myself and the dealer have the responsibility of telling the police about any new purchase. He also said that moderators were included in that. Unless buying a moderator for an air rifle :/ in which case you don't and in fact don't even need a FAC. But that's something else completely :lol:

I beg to differ. See Note A 2 on the back of your certificateSection 32 of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 requires the holder of a FAC to notify their chief officer of police of the purchase or acquisition of a firearm./quote]

Ah Ha ! Thanks for that correction.

It is the same form and usually you sign it at the shop and your copy gets sent off with the copy from the gun shop.

Good job this site is monitored by helpful people.

I'm sorry for my incorrect post and it was a mistake and not posted on purpose to mislead.

As far as I'm aware, having actually been in this situation, spoken to FLO about it and then subsequently sorted it, here's what I (think) I know;

Your moderator is "off-ticket", nothing more. One of the few pieces of legislation concerning your moderator at this point is that it cannot be sold by an RFD to a private individual unless face to face. Until the first time you screw it onto a section 1 firearm, then it becomes a section 1 firearm itself. Until such time as you mount it on a section 1 firearm, you have ZERO obligation to inform anybody about its purchase and it can remain "off-ticket". Once it has been attached on the end of your barrel, at that point, you have 7 days to inform the police that you have acquired a moderator. It is then possible for YOU to write it on your FAC and the police record is updated. Any sale, loss or destruction of the moderator from here on out must comply with all section 1 conditions and it can never be off-ticket again.

Edited by sterling

• 4 weeks later...

That sounds good! Would certainly save a bit of hassle.

I hope I don't cause any offence but I'll ring my flo in the morning to double check - we all know how varied these "rules" can be.

Thankyou very much for the suggestion though sterling.

No problem. I meant to check back here actually and see how it worked out for you - was it as easy as it was for me?