One for the mechanics

filzee

Right guys advice needed.

I have a 03 plate Seat Ibiza.

I recently had a new gear box fitted.

Since then the fuel gauge doesn't work. I just says empty all the time even though it is not.

Not only this but the tank won't let me put fuel in it. Every time i try to fill up the auto stop thingy kicks in and won't let fuel in the tank.

Is this a sensor issue or something else?? How easy is it to fix and more importantly how expensive would it be? I'm not exactly flush at the minute.

Cheers for any advice

Phil

just me with my devious head on, get some pals to push it 500mtrs away from your front door, then join the AA for around £32, give it a day or two, then ring them up saying your run out of petrol, a nice mechanic will come and tell you face to face whats wrong

thats a strange one , why would a gearbox refit alter anything on the fuel tank and filler neck .

my daughter had a similar issue with the petrol filler neck when she first got her polo , it just turned out that certain petrol station pumps were slightly different

fuel gauge could just be a fuse

guessing its a front wheel drive and manual box .

find out from the garage if they had to remove your tank at all to gain access

have look on the seat and vw forums , something similar might crop up

Garage may have bottomed the vehicle out when testing the new gearbox. This could have damaged the lever and float that gauges the amount of fuel you have in the tank. If it got stuck in the empty position it may have snapped, resulting in a false reading on the dash. The overflow autostop could be stuck as a result, which would make the pump think the tank is full. I could be wrong as this is just a guess.

just me with my devious head on, get some pals to push it 500mtrs away from your front door, then join the AA for around £32, give it a day or two, then ring them up saying your run out of petrol, a nice mechanic will come and tell you face to face whats wrong

The AA don't cover you if you run out of fuel IIRC. They will come out and tow you home, or to a garage, but they charge you for it.

Sounds like a dodgy tank sender unit, but fitting a gearbox. Should have not or ever affected this, is there any fuses for the instrument panel out ??? If not check the wiring that goes to the sender unit they could have pulled it off by accident whilst working under the car...( does the temp gauge work )

Edited by delburt0

Everything else on the vehicle works just this. I know that they had to remove the battery because the radio was locked when i got it back so possibly it could be a blown fuse somewhere or they have disconnected a wire.

I don't know much about cars if im completely honest

I doubt it's anything the garage has done, unless it involves a multi plug somewhereat they disconnected to remove the transaxle. Usually the wiring for the gauge and pump are inside the car and go through a rubber or plastic grommet under the back seat to the top of the tank where the sender unit is.