Beretta silver pigeon 1 or Browning B525??? Sporter or game version?

Oli383

ok thanks for all the help and advice guys, I am looking at both guns this week and will be going to a try and buy shop soon when i have the money as feel bad trying a gun and then not buying from them, Still considering used but am not 100% sure if my sgc comes through then i will if I have saved enough then i think i will go new.

Many thanks again Oli

hi oli

I got to the same position as you, first gun required, £1500 max budget, friend had got me started and lent me his 682 beretta [two clay mornings], licence arrived, friend suddenly died :-(

Did numerous shops, friend at work, forums etc and narrowed it down to 686, 682 beretta, 525 browning and mk38 miroku.

So second hand or new, decided new, [no reason that I remember, but it makes it easier for first purchase, i think!]

But the next step was invaluable, liked the browning the best, in the shop........ but the shop sent me to a shooting ground that had all three guns as school guns, [shops dont let you shoot new guns :rolleyes: ]

Didnt hit anything to speak of, with my choice, the browning....... but the beretta, hit loads more. :yahoo:

I had paid for an hours lesson, but by 30 mins the instructor had seen enough, of the cuff he suggested I take the other 30 mins of the lesson at the local gun shop where he would stand with me and help choose a gun.

We drove to the shop, did the looking and fitting, bought a gun. Beretta 686 siler pigeon 1, new :rolleyes: [had to be lengthened , but shop did this as part of service]

During this surreal afternoon , I did have to think if I was been stitched up, [gun shop sends to recommended school, school brings me back within 30 mins and gun bought]

I honestly dont think they are connected commercially [investigated after], and I was very happy to be guided. Have had more lessons with the same school, and very happy with the level of attention and guidance.

so..... the gun that felt best in the shop, didnt suit me the best when shot, and the fitting is difficult for a novice.

I would willingly pay £50 for an 'expert' to stand with me in a shop when choosing again, [ I didnt pay that, I payed £25, but its worth more]

hope this helps

neil, cambridge

hi oli

I got to the same position as you, first gun required, £1500 max budget, friend had got me started and lent me his 682 beretta [two clay mornings], licence arrived, friend suddenly died :-(

Did numerous shops, friend at work, forums etc and narrowed it down to 686, 682 beretta, 525 browning and mk38 miroku.

So second hand or new, decided new, [no reason that I remember, but it makes it easier for first purchase, i think!]

But the next step was invaluable, liked the browning the best, in the shop........ but the shop sent me to a shooting ground that had all three guns as school guns, [shops dont let you shoot new guns :rolleyes: ]

Didnt hit anything to speak of, with my choice, the browning....... but the beretta, hit loads more. :yahoo:

I had paid for an hours lesson, but by 30 mins the instructor had seen enough, of the cuff he suggested I take the other 30 mins of the lesson at the local gun shop where he would stand with me and help choose a gun.

We drove to the shop, did the looking and fitting, bought a gun. Beretta 686 siler pigeon 1, new :rolleyes: [had to be lengthened , but shop did this as part of service]

During this surreal afternoon , I did have to think if I was been stitched up, [gun shop sends to recommended school, school brings me back within 30 mins and gun bought]

I honestly dont think they are connected commercially [investigated after], and I was very happy to be guided. Have had more lessons with the same school, and very happy with the level of attention and guidance.

so..... the gun that felt best in the shop, didnt suit me the best when shot, and the fitting is difficult for a novice.

I would willingly pay £50 for an 'expert' to stand with me in a shop when choosing again, [ I didnt pay that, I payed £25, but its worth more]

hope this helps

neil, cambridge

Thank you for that, really helps. I went and held both guns yesterday in sporter I deffo love the look if the beretta but i know i will not buy it due to that but would be nice haha, Have been told I will need stock lengthning due to being tall, But both guns where exacty the same regarding stock lengths so when I have the money I have decided to go to a try before you buy shop that isnt to far away and that has voth and make the decission there.

I think I am going New now as will give me a long warentee and they are not that much cheaper second hand, plus I know it has been lokked after if its new :)

The two lessons I have had have been great but the guns dont hep as the beretta is not the normall sporter has been changed and his miroku 38 has been shortened so way to short for me.

Think I will wai till i try them both together and then take it from there.

Did you go for the sporting version?

Many thanks

Oli

i am relatively new 10 weeks in as a shotgun owner this is the conclusion i have come to, if the general view from the people who know about these things is it fits you and you feel comfortable buy which ever one you like :good: , then spend the next 6 months learning to shoot :lol: then 6 months after that you should know enough to be able to make a personally informed decision.

My lad bought a £200 semi auto Remmy and hits a lot more clays with that than with my £1000 Beretta

oli said 'Did you go for the sporting version? '

yes 5 multi choke, sporter.

I have re-read my post and I think i gave the impression I have been at this a while, but in truth, I have been at it since may, bought the gun 4 weeks ago, so I think we are level pegging :good:

enjoy

neil

fingers crossed it comes soon :-)

been having alternate lessons and solo shooting 3 lessons and joined the local club 15 mins away

quite enjoyed doing it solo and meeting new people :-)

bought a second gun for the son to use, slightly nerve wracking buying privately , but it was a friend of a friend , so not too much stress

even plucked up courage to buy a ' slab of cartridges' instead of two or three boxes at a time .......... I know it sound minor but everything is new to me :-)

any way upwards and on wards !

Neill

• 5 years later...
9 hours ago, Boris a1 said:

Hope you did not buy from Broadway gun room as that have very poor Secand hand shotguns and very poor service.

Boris A1 the poster will have probably ironed out any issues with the dealer. Being he bought it six years ago 😆