Won't come back when called....

Spook

Hi!

We have a Jack Russel x Chihuahua (Not my choice, but I wanted a dog and she said it was this or nothing!) and he won't come back when called.

We got him at 10 months from a chap who's relationship had fallen apart and could no longer look after the dog and work a full time job. To be fair to Scrappy he's fantastic! Not had a single accident in the house, only chewed a few of the kids toys and in the 3 months we've had him he has learnt to sit, speak+growl on command, lay, wait and heel, he's fine with gun fire and fireworks too BUT...if the front door opens he will bolt out and go and see the neighbors in turn until HE wants to come back. No amount of calling or whistling will make him change his mind. When he does come back I've always been mindful not to tell him off but reward him for actually coming back but it seems to have made no odds.

It's the same down the beach, all seems to be going well for a while then he'll bolt and go chasing and barking at other dogs until he wants to come back.

I always have treats for him in my pocket! We've even tried all sitting in different rooms calling him in turn and rewarding him for going to the right person but that only works in doors, out doors he just ignores everyone.

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

It looks as though he is more embarressed of you than you are of him :lol:

Cheers for that, you could be on to something :blush: But he is the campest looking dog ever! I wanted an English bull terrier or a sausage dog......

Edited by Spook

Some very good advice above. The high value treats can eally make a difference. and so will running away

Has ur dog always done this? It could be at the stroppy teenager age and just being a little s **t, if u have done the basics and was fine before might grow out of ot fairly quickly. But in the meantime u want to dog proof ur front door (kiddies stair gate in front off it etc) and keep ur dog on a lead until u get it sorted

I'd use ur food bowl to aid training, dog sits before u put bowl down waits for command, take it away again leaving ur dog sitting and whistle/recall him he sits and bowl go down again. Not described it very well but on Rory majors dvd, i do it with any pup now as soon as i get them so they are familar with the sit and recall whistles at 12 week old.

Some sort of dog obedience classes would probably help, Or reading the basic puppy training stages off most gundog books (i realise not a gundog but most off basics are ust good obediancej) U say u can recall him to the person who called him? I'd go back to a sit/stay in the hall and recall him there, then add some distractions, tv folk talking etc, then i'd go out into ur garden and start again work up to distractions, then go into the park start again (probably using a long line for safety) all the time it comes quickly loads off praise and reward anytime hesitates or veers off a wee growl/oi/tut and vocal praise as soon as starts back towards u. Only step up the hardness when he's doing last stage 100%, but u really don't want ur dog runnning off as it wil undermine all ur training

If i was using a long line i'd have it attached to a harness just dragging while ur lead is also on, so when u take lead off dog doesn't realise still attached to a long line, but the dog has to understand the command first.I use a bit off washing linethat plastic coated stuff as doesnae really hank or snagg on much

Finally if ur in a safe area whee the dog can't escape or get hurt, hide, let the dog bog off and then panick when it can't find u.

Edited by scotslad

Wow, lots of great tips and things to try!If we're in a field with no distraction he's really pretty good, but if there's other dogs he's off.

I read on another forum that primula squirty cheese is known as 'puppy crack' because they can't get enough of it! I tried it last night and it seems to be true, but I couldn't get him leave my side on or off the lead! I can see the advantages on the beach though, just squeeze some out and let him lick it off the tube - no dropping treats on the sand.

I'll persist with the long line I think.

U would probaly help if when ur dog is pretty good in a quiet environment to bring in a mate with a trained dog, start of with it at a distance and gradually get it closer as ur dog improves. Long lines are great for training but some clever dogs soon learn when they are on it and when they are off it so know when they have to behave or not.

The other way would be if u have a mate with a well trained dog that recalls really well let them play free run together, if ur dog is chasing the other recall both dogs and it will soon associate the recall whistle with turning and bombing back to u. Then make a big fuss/treat

Must admit i often do that with any young dogs let them chase after the older dogs as soon as it almsot catches them i will blow the recall so big dogs turn and come back with young 1 chasing behind, i sometimes run oppisate direction just to get dogs really bombing back to me

U would probaly help if when ur dog is pretty good in a quiet environment to bring in a mate with a trained dog, start of with it at a distance and gradually get it closer as ur dog improves. Long lines are great for training but some clever dogs soon learn when they are on it and when they are off it so know when they have to behave or not.

The other way would be if u have a mate with a well trained dog that recalls really well let them play free run together, if ur dog is chasing the other recall both dogs and it will soon associate the recall whistle with turning and bombing back to u. Then make a big fuss/treat

Must admit i often do that with any young dogs let them chase after the older dogs as soon as it almsot catches them i will blow the recall so big dogs turn and come back with young 1 chasing behind, i sometimes run oppisate direction just to get dogs really bombing back to me

Thats a great idea too! I need to find some one with a well trained dog now.... :lol: