who shoots with a 30-06

30-06hunter

I have 2 of them at home. I had my rem 700 on my ticket when i first applied, but never brought it over as i didn't have any deer shooting here. The other is a rem 7600 which i inherited.

You probably don't see many because they are 'overkill' for the majority of UK shooting, or so goes the logic. I can understand that line of thinking. With a 150 gr bullet a 308 will basically equal it if you are handloading and have a normal barrel length. And, considering that most shots stalking here seem to be in the sub 200 range, the velocity diffences don't matter much anyway. So no point burning an extra 10 grains of powder for just an extra bit of noise.

That said, there isn't much a 30-06 can't do. We shoot 165 gr ballistic tips from hot loads. My dad's gun and mine (serial numbers one apart) both shoot the same load sub one inch at 100 yards. Outside of dangerous game in africa and dangerous bears, there isn't much i wouldn't go after with it.

Thanks

Rick

thanks for the reply.

i think the 30-06 is superior to the 308, but agree that it is a bit over kill for for most deer apart from a red stag in this country.

the reason i got it was for my hunt trips to canada for white tail, next week i will be going on my 4th trip. over there its the standard hunting round.

i just got a rem 783.. love it, cant wait to hopefully christen it over the next two weeks.

thanks for the reply.

i think the 30-06 is superior to the 308, but agree that it is a bit over kill for for most deer apart from a red stag in this country.

the reason i got it was for my hunt trips to canada for white tail, next week i will be going on my 4th trip. over there its the standard hunting round.

i just got a rem 783.. love it, cant wait to hopefully christen it over the next two weeks.

CBF is correct .308 is its equal (that was the development brief to the military contract) the only exception to that is with heavier than usual bullets around 180 ish were PROVIDED it has a long enough barrel it will better a 308. In a 20" you tend to get about 10 grains worth of flame thrower depending on powder and bullet :lol: I shot one a while, I think it is the best sub magnum hunting rifle for larger non- dangerous quarry. Very much a smallest is better type calibre fan these days though a good choice especially if you have access to wild boar in the UK (few do)

thanks for the reply.

In a 165 grain or long bullets then you can put a bit more slow powder in one and get more speed. My uncle shot a 308 and we shot '06. We loaded all of them, and always the same bullets. At first we shot 150 sierra hp's and the only time the '06 was faster was when we loaded them really hot, which you couldn't do as well in this 308 (not sure why). The 308 was with IMR4064 and the '06 with 4350. When we switched to 165's the standard book loads pushed the '06 about 200-300 faster depending on the load which is quite a bit for a high bc bullet like the 165 BT.

Where are you in canada? We used to fish past Toronto for a while. I have always wanted to go for archery season in saskatchewan or similar.

Thanks

Rick

I have a 30-06 and use it for Deer with 150gn bullets and for driven Boar or if I needed it for Plains Game I use the 180 or 220gn bullet.

The rifle I have at the moment is a Blaser but previously had a Styre and before that a Remington 700Bdl.

I know quite a few people that use a 30-06, all they do is vary the weight of the bullet to suit the game they are shooting.

Fister,

If you're not set on the 270, have a look at a 280. We had all three of the -06 variants in my immediate family. Of them, the 270 had a lot of bark but didn't really have any extra benefit from the bark. And to my mind, the 270 caliber is one of the most restrictive in bullets. With the 280, it seemed to be easier to load for and shot just as well as any other gun we had. There really isn't much in it between the three of them though at the end of the day.

Rick

I used a mannlicher 3006 for red stags, hinds and even roe. Never had a problem with it and it is really accurate and not as destructive as i first expected it to be. Typically use 150 gn gamekings with it at 2700 fps. It is probably less messy to a roe carcase than a 243 with 75 gn going faster! It is my go to rifle on grounds where i have a chance of reds or roe.