mushroom id

sixhills 69

The only other thing it could be is a shaggy mushroom, look at that on a good mushroom site. If you cut a shaggy it "bleeds". Only found this out yesterday so I am no expert but have a look at the shaggy mushroom.

Hope it helps

Thanks looking at the Shaggy on photos on the web it looks more pointed the ones in my photo are more rounded

Why dint you buy a Hugh fearnley book it will tell you them all

No it won't - It's a very rough guide and a good place to start looking. As a matter of fact the first few pages state something along the lines of that it's a rough guide and you'll need more material.

Anyway, 99.99% sure it's shaggy parasol, They make the turkey drumstick impression when it's young (Opening into a parasol when a bit older). They are very nice stuffed with herbs and fried, but some people can be sensitive to them so after a positive ID make sure you try a little at first..

It is late in the season but I'm seeing a lot more mushrooms late on this year.

i have just started going out foraging mushrooms with a local chap who knows his stuff first day out i took home 6 different variety's and i was told to try them one at a time (always cook them) just in case i had an allergy tried all 6 and was ok third time out we got the same 6 so it was a mushroom medley on toast Mmmmm

Thanks Bleeh I'd don't forage much but just stumbled on this area on the farm they looked really good so got the ipad out to find a match, what happens if your sensitive to them ???

Gut rot of varying degrees - but it's uncommon (Like people being sensitive to dairy)

there is ONLY one safe place to pick mushrooms (unless you are an "expert" (and dont forget that an "ex" is a has been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure))

THE LOCAL SUPERMARKET/GREENGROCER

Again, yes, and no.

I'd recommend anyone to get into Mushroom picking, it's fun, free, and rather educational. You just have to be careful, and do your reading, ask for advice and don't overload yourself with too many species at once. Anyone who has ever been poisoned from misidentifying something as obvious as a Hedgehog mushroom probably deserves to have themselves removed from the genepool.

Again, yes, and no.

I'd recommend anyone to get into Mushroom picking, it's fun, free, and rather educational. You just have to be careful, and do your reading, ask for advice and don't overload yourself with too many species at once. Anyone who has ever been poisoned from misidentifying something as obvious as a Hedgehog mushroom probably deserves to have themselves removed from the genepool.

educational it sure is ,i have learnt a lot in the last month from my mushroom guru . the main thing being the woods closest to where i live (less than a mile away) is full of hedgehog mushrooms and black trumpets :yahoo:

been out today which will probably be the last time this year , got some winter chanterels, amethist decivers, a couple off hedghogs , and some jews ears (not tried them before) talking with some of the mushroom experts about apps for iphone and android and they all use an app called rodgers mushrooms , i searched on my iphone and couldnt find it after trolling the net i found it and searched my iphone with the words glen byram and it came straight up theres a free version so you can try before buying :good:

post-14152-0-70113200-1384535698_thumb.jpg

Edited by holly