Bettinsoli owners

gemini52

I bought a silver line about three years ago,had it for around a year than sold it to a mate on are clay shoot,last week i had a go with it just to see how it felt,dont know if it was me but the dam thing double discharged on me,didnt do the neck much good,but totally distroyed the clay,anyone else had this happen with a bettinsoli before,i mentioned it to the guy who runs are shoot,he reckons it was me bouncing the trigger what ever that means.

I have a baikal that does that, I think it could be a sear needs replacing. It is on the to do list but I don't use it anymore (keeping it as it was my first gun nearly twenty years ago). I think it should be looked at if the gun is being used from a safety point of view, I heard/read somewhere that if you bang the stock on the floor (or accidentally drop it) it can go off. I am no expert but hope that helps.

Mine did it a couple of times.

first time took it back to shop and the stripped and cleaned it.

2nd time (after loads of cartridges and use on salt marsh) I decided to strip and clean it myself. A pea size piece of crud fell out :yes:

Cleaned with carb cleaner and a light oil and that sorted it out.

gun gets thorough clean a bit more often now, and has not double discharged since :good:

Me ffinks theres a moto there ;)

There has been an on going problem with Betinsolli's that is usualy cured by replacing sears and hammers. It should be done under a warrantee agreement . Problem is if the gun was supplied by Rug Rats they will only supply parts for guns they distributed . Others were wholesaled by McLoys so parts have to come from them . Takes about 30 minutes to do the job so you may get charged labour but parts should be free .You need to talk to the original selling dealer about this but if the gun has changed hands several time any decent gunsmith can do the job but expect to pay .

The two I've known of didn't require replacement sears though, so don't jump into getting them replaced anyway. The other one belonged to a friend and needed a new spring of some sort.

Yeah, I have it in my head that it was a spring issue of some kind that caused problems on early guns.

I've had this happen to me with my Bettinsoli Overland, and with a bit of work, managed to get it to repeat (using primed cases only, I hasten to add!).

Basically, the selector must be fully over left or right before sliding the safety forward. It will slide forward if not fully over, and this is when the double-discharge can happen.

If you notice after sliding the safety forward that the selector is not fully over, break the gun open fully, and start again. Just moving the selector fully over at this stage may not prevent the double fire.