Well its finally here

Zetter

So today I pickup my brand new Wolverine B in .177 cal

First impressions are very favourable. It comes to the shoulder well and just feels really solid and well engineered from loading the magazine to cycling the bolt the feeling of precision engineering just flows from the gun. In the past I have owned AA4**, HW100 and recently an FX Verminator MK2 and while they were all fantastically accurate rifles (well more accurate than me anyway) they just didn't exude the quality that I felt using the Wolverine for the first time.

Setting it up was a snap my RFD put on my Hawke Sidewinder (basically I wanted to see if the high mounts on it would clear the mag and they did with ease I think you could get away with certain medium mounts on it with a bit of experimentation) and I put it in the back of the car and took it to a 25m indoor zeroing range I have the use of.

I decided as it was a new rifle and Daystate have been pushing them a bit to try out a tin of their new sovereign pellets. Loading was easy in the new style mag with the cutout to allow them to be pushed fully home without the use of a seating tool.

A point to note here is that in the manual it says you cant use the old style mags only the ones with a bonze coloured centre drum I am guessing it has something to do with the little indexing piston that actuates when you fire so something to bear in mind if you are planning to swap mags from another daystate you may have. Also you get no single shot tray either and it says you should load the pellet directly into the barrel for single shot mode I am not sure if a Rowan adaptor will work or not on this either due to the actuating piston that operates the mag. I don't have one to try so if anyone has any experience on these feel free to give me you experience on it.

My rifle is marked with a sticker stating the SWP is 180 bar which is a result as it mean it isn't going to hammer my air tank all the time (unlike my friend who has a Panther with an SWP of 232 bar :lol:), I topped it up to this mark ready to put some pellets down the range.

Zeroing didn't take long as my sidewinder had come straight of my old AA510 in .177 so it was there or there about and within a mag I was within quarter of an inch of the bull. A few more clicks and it was spot on off the bench.

As time was limited (my mrs wanted me home) I shot a few groups all of which were 1/4 of an inch or below which is generally the best I can do without a full on rest.

I didn't have a moderator on the rifle as my RFD didn't have a mk5 airstream in stock but to be honest I don't think I will bothering to get one. Even in the confines of my range there was very little sound the shroud does the job very well. This may be different on fac if you are spitting out pellets at 35 ft/lb but its really quiet on sub 12 ft/lb especially compared to my FX vermy MK2 which I seriously considered getting a moderator for when I had it.

Despite tipping the scales at over 7 lb it is really well balanced and even scoped up with a scope as hefty as the Sidewinder I didn't find it too bad bringing onto aim standing I did have a full length HW100 before and found the balance on that didn't suit me at all which is why I got rid of it. The cheek peace didn't feel too low for me on the scope my friend may disagree when I see him as he is a bit of a cheek piece height aficionado but it suited me well and my eye came naturally in line with the scope when I bought the rifle up.

Overall I am really happy so far with this, yes it did cost me a smidgen under a grand and that's a lot for a rifle/ it may not be within everyone's reach but the quality does shine out of it when you pick it up. I think the local bunnies and pigeons on my permissions will learn to hate it :good:.

Piccies below

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/zetteruk/Wolverine4.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/zetteruk/Wolverine3.jpg

http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu329/zetteruk/Wolverine1.jpg

Edited by Zetter

I just cannot see the point-just how much MORE accurate can the gun be than the guns you mentioned? And with a Wolverine picture on it -it just looks stupid to my mind-like the Gammo? Zombie-where are we heading?. The Wolverine as a 100ft/lb .303 had some kudos and entertainment value but a 12 ft/lb version? (and from what I read-heavily modified at that) is it any superior to than the guns that Daystate already knock out?

I just cannot see the point-just how much MORE accurate can the gun be than the guns you mentioned? And with a Wolverine picture on it -it just looks stupid to my mind-like the Gammo? Zombie-where are we heading?. The Wolverine as a 100ft/lb .303 had some kudos and entertainment value but a 12 ft/lb version? (and from what I read-heavily modified at that) is it any superior to than the guns that Daystate already knock out?

Yes. this is how all mechanical Daystates will be inside. It's lighter than the Air Ranger, cheaper than The Air Ranger and because of those .303 internals, far better equipped to take super-highpowered energy levels. The Air Ranger is essentially no more. The Wolverine is the future. Plus, it's not all about accuracy for some of us. It's about aesthetics. I love the look of the wolverine stock. I know the chequering won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think they've done a bang up job. if you buy something expensive, you want care to be taken in all areas, not just in the mechanics. Had it been some moronic sticker on it, or some unnecessary glittery nonsense, i would agree with you, but not with woodwork.

I'm just glad you're happy with it sire! go out and enjoy her :)

stunning rifle, nice one, hope you enjoy using it,

just a little tip , when posting from photo bucket so as people can,t look through all your photo,s ( as I just did sorry )what you need to do is as follows,,,,,

1, go to your library in photobucket,

2, pic the picture you want to put on the forum.

3, right click on little circle in top right corner, 4 segments will appear,,

4, click on bottom segment, (for use on forums)

5, go back to your thread,

6, press Ctrl and V and this will paste the photo onto your thread, if you want to put another picture up then just do the same again on the next picture,,

sorry about this but just thought I would let you know because doing it the way you was lets everyone flick through ALL your photo,s and there might be some there you don't want people to see,, :lol::lol: :lol:

all the best with the new rifle

cheers Evo

Cheers Evo I will make some amendments I don't use photo bucket a lot and its a good point although there is nothing on there but guns I used to own. If someones hoping for something else they will be disappointed all the pics of the Mrs are on........... anyway lets no go there :) .

Bruno I didn't get I just because it was a Wolverine I wanted to go back to .177 from .22 and fancied a Daystate with similar capacity to my verminator as far as shot count went. So its basically a choice between the Air Wolf and the updated version of the Air Ranger which is the Wolverine I didn't fancy electronics so the Wolverine it was.

As Chris said the chequering wont be to everyones taste and a lot of people hate buddy bottles but it looks nice to me which is what counts.

Nice write up mate. Im planning getting one as you already know from a past post of mine.

My FAC Variation has just come back today for a .22 FAC version of the B type. Not sure the price on the FAC version yet but i dare say it will be a bit over a grand, so i got a little saving to do.

Hope you enjoy your Wolverine though mate as it does come across as another success from the Daystate boys.

Atb

DD

Just had another bash with it over my 25 meter range and put down two 5 shot groups of <5.5mm which is better than anything I have accomplished with any of my other rifles. I would think in .22 fac DD this would be really nice. The balance is spot on and its not affected by the buddy bottle at all. So far two of my shooting buddies have shot it and agree that it just feels really well made.