CZ American .17hmr

Andy17

hi all,

I purchased my .17hmr on the 1st of december. Its had approx 200 rounds through it so far. I still havent managed to get it to shoot consistent groups, it seems to be spot on one minute and then off a little the next. Yesterday whilst cleaning it I noticed that if I hold the silencer or the top of the barrel and then gently push and pull the stock left to right that it ever so slightly moves. I cant see the moving whilst I am shooting but i suppose if it gets knocked it could move it. The question is would that slight bit of movement have an effect on the grouping. Also has anyone had their trigger lightened and does it make a great difference to the accuracy??. what is the average grouping I should be looking to shoot at 100yards from a bipod? (I would consider myself a reasonably good shot).

Thanks in advance to any replys.

Andy

hi all,

I purchased my .17hmr on the 1st of december. Its had approx 200 rounds through it so far. I still havent managed to get it to shoot consistent groups, it seems to be spot on one minute and then off a little the next. Yesterday whilst cleaning it I noticed that if I hold the silencer or the top of the barrel and then gently push and pull the stock left to right that it ever so slightly moves. I cant see the moving whilst I am shooting but i suppose if it gets knocked it could move it. The question is would that slight bit of movement have an effect on the grouping. Also has anyone had their trigger lightened and does it make a great difference to the accuracy??. what is the average grouping I should be looking to shoot at 100yards from a bipod? (I would consider myself a reasonably good shot).

Thanks in advance to any replys.

Andy

First off, im sure someone will move this to the correct forum

secondly, possibly, i would take it back to the dealer you got it from and get them to check it out, or at least compare it with another one fresh out the box. When it comes to .17hmr's iv heard that CZ's are the most accurate around and very consistant, which is why i am getting one.

Also regarding the trigger i would do a search for the "brooks trigger kit" which is supposed to be alot better than the standard trigger they have.

It could be that your scope it mounted wrong or is damaged i'd try remounting it make sure your using a good set of mounts.

If you could give us a better description of the groups it might be easier a couple of factors

Wind as your probably know the .17 is Very susceptable to wind drift so if your getting horizontal stringing thats probably be your problem

Barrel floating in alot of cases this can help groups but i cant see it changing th poi all the time but again it would be no harm to float the barrel. Just take off the stock get a dowel or something .17wide and wrap some sand paper on it and sand the barrel channel out where it was touching.

The trigger wont drastacly affect your groups and definatly wont change th poi what it will do is when your shooting consisitant and getting good groups help you to get the best out of your gun. A brooks kit is prob the best thing to put in it but the timney triggers are good as well but do cost a bit.

If your able to do what was said there and bring it back and get it replaced that would definatly be the best option but i doubt you can do this. If you cant get it to shoot you'll eventually just have to bring it to a gunsmith or someone and get it bedded and pillars put it which will solve the problem.

For the moment i'd take careful notice of the wind find a nice flat calm day and start shooting at 50yards for groups and see what your getting and then post back here what you got and someone might be able to give you more help

Also just to mention ammo can be an important factor some barrels might not like the hornady .17 17grain bullets so try the cci's or remmys or your barrel might just like 20gr better just find what it shoots best and stick to it.

I have this rifle and tbh it's early days to be concerned ........The barrel & Stock do Flex

I'm going to focus on the cleaning aspect, (has it's your new toy)

1,how often ?(eg How many rds fired )

2,what procedure?(eg Materials and equipment used )

Mine is a tack driver ,It's not at all ammo fussy and I have fitted the brooks trigger kit which IMO is a must and will affect accuracy .............The factory settings are too heavy and if your having to squeeze hard then no doubt you'll be moving .

my grouping reduced when i fitted the brooke trigger kit i only played with the springs and found one that suited me.if after cleaning and trying diferent ammo types,try the brooke kit you will be amazed.

just tryed my barrel and that moves slightly,if its new give it time to settle. :yes:

I dont have the CZ my HMR is a Auchutz and for grouping it has a 4 shot mag and you can cover the 4 shots with a £1 coin at 100 yds. :lol::/:lol::lol::lol::lol::yes:

PS and like Mark says you can clean them to much i just pull a snakebore through every 2 or 3 boxes of ammo if i remember but as long as its shooting accurate i tend to leave alone. :lol::lol:

hi all,

thanks for the replys, glad the barrel is supposed to move. I am fitting a harris bipod to the gun tomorrow so I will remount the scope, maybe change the ammo and start at fifty yards.

I didnt want to take the silencer off through fear of changing the zero. Would it change the zero or not??.

thanks

andy

I dont have the CZ my HMR is a Auchutz and for grouping it has a 4 shot mag and you can cover the 4 shots with a £1 coin at 100 yds. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

PS and like Mark says you can clean them to much i just pull a snakebore through every 2 or 3 boxes of ammo if i remember but as long as its shooting accurate i tend to leave alone. :lol::lol:

I've got an Anschutz too Hawkeye, and very good it is.

I would question one statement by someone earlier - the trigger DOES affect accuracy. If you have a 6lb pull on your trigger then you are wasting your time with trying to get your gun accurate.

If you have a 4th trigger then by trying very hard you may get 'reasonable' groups on a range when you have all the time in the world, but out in the field you do not want to worry about trigger pull as you have enough to think about.

CZ's are accurate, but from what I have heard to get the best out of them I think that you have to get a Brooks mod fitted to the trigger.

Don

not being big headed mate but onestly i dont need it

from going from .22lr to .17 its easy the bullet flys so straight no need to compensate for the drop or arc of the bullet

i dont do any target shooting i only shoot live quarry

so it may be different on the ranges

kirky

ps i do zero on a target before shooting at live quarry

thought i would say this before i get a battewring lol

hi all,

thanks for the replys, glad the barrel is supposed to move. I am fitting a harris bipod to the gun tomorrow so I will remount the scope, maybe change the ammo and start at fifty yards.

I didnt want to take the silencer off through fear of changing the zero. Would it change the zero or not??.

thanks

andy

You've missed the point. You said you cant get consistant groups. Its a process of elimination, start with the easy things first! before you start shavin', hammerin' & banging. I have the same rifle and I dont loose zero if I take the moderator off.

I dont loose zero if I take the moderator off.

That is really strange - normally it should. In fact anything should if it effects the barrel's harmonics (the way it moves and vibrates when a shot is fired). That means anything adding to or removing weight from the barrel, or touching it in any way.

I have a CZ in .22LR with a mod. I recently fitted a length of bicycle inner tube over the mod to protect it. Even that small additional weight shifted POI several inches and I had to re-zero it.

B