Can you teach an old dog new tricks?

arko

This is one of my first posts on this forum so please dont batter me! hahaha. I have a Welsh Border Collie who is 6 years old. She is a very obedient animal and is good at retrieving a stick, ball, slipper etc on command. Is her breed suitable for training to be a gun dog? Has anyone else used or is using a Welsh Collie? If so, is it acceptable to train her myself and how would I go about it or is it easier to get her trained professionally and where would I look in South Wales?

Phew!...that was easy!.... now lets see what happens! :yahoo:

Yes, there is a proviso its odds on favourite it will be Gunshy big Collie trait ! start with a little cap gun and work up but go easy. If she is fine with the bangs the next step is steadiness, they are also keen on chasing. Obedience work and retrieving a Collie can run rings around many gundog breeds if trained and handled well, they also have great noses but remember they are bred to react to command at distance and this means noise sensitivity is often bred in.

I had a border collie as a lad and she would hunt out birds, but would not retrieve anything dead, although she would bring back a ball, stick, etc.

They are generally hard mouthed and often gun shy.

Have fun with your dog, but don't expect too much from a 6 year old.

If you are serious about needing a gundog, I would suggest you go for one of the traditional breeds.

I had a border collie as a lad and she would hunt out birds, but would not retrieve anything dead, although she would bring back a ball, stick, etc.

They are generally hard mouthed and often gun shy.

Have fun with your dog, but don't expect too much from a 6 year old.

If you are serious about needing a gundog, I would suggest you go for one of the traditional breeds.

We used to do Collie bred Lurchers and every one was soft mouthed, the biggest issue we faced with new pups was them picking rabbits up and then doing catch and release so they could try again or hearding without picking up. Hard mouth I have not heard of as specific to the breed previously, though many Collies from hill farm breeding are non the less quick to use their teeth

Edited by kent

at 6 years old there'll be some old habits in there, get a pup and start from scratch. start with a Lab easier to train and wont punishish you too hard foryour mistakes

This is quite true, but you certainly can train an old dog new tricks. As long as you don't take things too seriously and except you sort of have what you have it can be fun

at 6 years old there'll be some old habits in there, get a pup and start from scratch. start with a Lab easier to train and wont punishish you too hard foryour mistakes

get a pup and start from scratch :no: great answer :no: he has already got a dog a Welsh Border Collie :good: good luck with your collie give it a go

I have been looking at getting a new dog as our other (Dogue de Bordeaux) is getting more house-bound. There have been some varied replies in that lot and as kent said about the noise sensitivity, that may produce problems but my Bo actually reacts on hand signal due to the fact that since my cancer op 3 years ago, I have been unable to communicate that well and she has reated amazingly to hand signals alone! I would love another chocolate lab or even a spaniel... thats going to take a whole lot of thinking over and the missus needs to be persuaded! A friend down the road has got some lurcher pups or he did have... maybe I will take a stroll...... :whistling:

Give the collie a go :good: . There's no harm in trying - chances are it'll be hard mouthed and gun-shy, but there's a slim chance it might not be. Brother-in-law got a collie hoping it would make a gundog, but it was pretty breed typical and for some reason his family seem amazed by how good my own gundogs are. Clue's in the name really :rolleyes: .

Anyway, you've got the dog so if you've lost a few hours trying, so what? If you've enjoyed it, isn't that the point? Just do it yourself - personally I don't see any point trying to get an old collie professionally trained.

As said earlier, if you are really serious about a gundog, then you need to start young(er) and with a breed that stands more chance of making the grade. There are lots of breeds out there so don't feel limited to just a lab or a cocker :yes:

Good luck!

I do see the sense in what you say Paul, different horses and all that. I will try her on a few new hand commands and a few loud noises. Maybe get her up to the farm by me to see if she can stand the noise of a shotgun. As I havent got one myself thats the only way Im going to find out at the moment. Anyway, if I do get a new pup, at least I know I have a head start by getting one that has it in its blood.... that said, its still no guarantee! hahaha. Also, as Kent mentioned, my Bo is also a chaser which I would have to snap her out of. At home its comical to watch her doing her cat act! Its like she is schizophrenic! hahaha.

Don't just let a gun off near her - she'll run a mile.

If she loves fetch, just keep playing the game while someone lets it off 100yds away - you'll soon have an idea what she thinks about it!

My viz was (and still is) a bit gun shy, but we've managed to overcome it because he associates it with other things he really enjoys - hunting and retrieving. He still flinches on the first shot, but at least he stays put and is not running hell for leather across the farm to get away from it.

I do see the sense in what you say Paul, different horses and all that. I will try her on a few new hand commands and a few loud noises. Maybe get her up to the farm by me to see if she can stand the noise of a shotgun. As I havent got one myself thats the only way Im going to find out at the moment. Anyway, if I do get a new pup, at least I know I have a head start by getting one that has it in its blood.... that said, its still no guarantee! hahaha. Also, as Kent mentioned, my Bo is also a chaser which I would have to snap her out of. At home its comical to watch her doing her cat act! Its like she is schizophrenic! hahaha.

See if she is not currently gunshy with this method its odds on she will be after that! Start with tiny steps a cap gun at 50yds a .22 short blank at 100 yds (both while the dog is pre-occupied with food or a retrieve etc) tiny steps not wacking great big uns!

my old collie ( god bless her ) used to retrieve game no problem , was very good on sight but no so on scent. gunfire did,nt seem to bother her or maybe the old girl was already going a bit deaf

apart from my springers , collies will always be the love of my life , give it a go , you never know

cheers

Wether or not it is gun shy (but as other have said BE very gentle and take it slow) it might be worth training the dog to the whistle, u mentioned something about not communicating as well as u used to with it. Whistle is the ideal thing wether for a gundog or just a pet. 1 command to sit (usually a long blast) and 1 to recall (often 2 or many short sharp balsts) saves u shouting to the dog