Pest control 150 night vision build

Sean100uk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use the same cam marky in my add-on and im getting 400 yards no problem

and its called Nite-Tek NT300 becouse you can see out to 300 yards

I'd also be amazed if his unit reaches anywhere near the distances mine will achieve at similar magnifications.

Edited by ant.mass

Okay, that answers that one then, take a look at my video link in the other thread, pop an x searcher on and you'll get 500 yards no problem (actually in summer much further). I'm erring on the side of caution when I say 400 as in winter, when there is more moisture in the atmosphere the range is reduced slightly due to reflection of the IR.

There is a big difference too between 400 yards on x5 mag and 400 yards on x14 or x20 mag as you increase magnification so the light is reduced and the picture dims, mine is still clear at those ranges at those magnifications.

Finally, it does away with all that battery tube bulk that Marky has at the front of his rifle unbalancing it, mine just has an empty tube weighing next to nothing with an IR and lens in. The next unit in development weighs in at a paltry 300g and the tiny Li ion battery is stock mounted so the weight is where you want it, tucked into your armpit, a switched supply provides over 3 hours continuous use with no overheating, that's turn everything on and leave it on for three hours plus.

Can we see pictures of your build please?

Edited by mick miller

i use a T20 with a 66mm head and a home made 12v with 66mm head so i dont need a searcher as my ir works fine mate

and i say 300y but i would say its more like 500y at 14x mag but i never as all i get is im lying there's no way its that much.

and yes i no if you increase magnification the light is reduced and the picture dims.

and i dont know all the inn’s outs of mark's add-on so you he have talk him about that.

Hmm, I just put a stock extension sock on. Gives me 1.5" of extra length (fnaar fnaar) on the stock. The next unit adds a mere 3" but then you put your eye against the rubber cup, whereas with a rifle scope you hold you eye around 1.5" away from the eyepiece so, all in all, you lose around an inch of eye relief, perfectly comfortable.

You can of course negate some of that if you wish to compromise on the day time position of the riflescope and move it a little way forward, I haven't tried that yet but may well do so in the Summer, when it's dry and comfortable and I can fuss and pick around whilst laying in a nice dry field with the sun on my back and the birds singing, this time of year I cannot get motivated to hang around outside and play with rifle scope positions etc.

Edited by mick miller

i use a T20 with a 66mm head and a home made 12v with 66mm head so i dont need a searcher as my ir works fine mate

and i say 300y but i would say its more like 500y at 14x mag but i never as all i get is im lying there's no way its that much.

and yes i no if you increase magnification the light is reduced and the picture dims.

and i dont know all the inns outs of mark's add-on so you he have talk him about that.

Yes come on ant, Mick showed you his think now after all this you could show us a picture of this small set up you got

Work at it long enough and you can get something that looks like this. Mind you, I could have bought one of those Drone Pro's for the same money (it wouldn't perform as well though ;) )...

The-OhmLaut.jpg

The next one is over an inch shorter, lighter and more compact, plus it'll drive the LED even harder. The torch is another project, driven by a dimmable 12v driver through a push/ pull zooming torch with aspherical lens.

Brilliant, i was just rummaging through the forums for DIY NV setups and this is just what i was looking for! any chance you could be an absolute legend and post plans of your "upgraded" version??? :yahoo:

Brilliant, i was just rummaging through the forums for DIY NV setups and this is just what i was looking for! any chance you could be an absolute legend and post plans of your "upgraded" version??? :yahoo:

What and give everyone a shortcut to a year of private and expensive research for a product that may go into production? Not a chance. I'd give it a week before some other plagiarised the ideas and started passing them off as there own!

I'm sorry but the ins and outs are staying secret for now and any prototypes sold will stand zero chance of being reverse engineered I'm afraid.

Edited by mick miller

What and give everyone a shortcut to a year of private and expensive research for a product that may go into production? Not a chance. I'd give it a week before some other plagiarised the ideas and started passing them off as there own!

I'm sorry but the ins and outs are staying secret for now and any prototypes sold will stand zero chance of being reverse engineered I'm afraid.

certainly have to agree with you Dave,

spent a lot of money and more importantly Hours to get my kits right, then people expect you to give them your full spec for free,,,,,DONT THINK SO,,,,,

its even worse mate when you sell a kit, it gets sent back,, and then pictures of a copy is plastered all over pigeon watch claiming to be their nv , ha ha pure classic, certainly stopped me helping people out now,

and the new ideas I use wont be put up on here that's for sure after the last incident, even dave G has had people taking the ****,

we spend months perfecting these things and spending a hell of a lot of money experimenting for someone to copy your kit and say its their idea,,have to laugh

atb Evo

What happened to evo was really sneaky and its a pity realy as he has been such an inspiration in the NV field.I got all my advise off him and a few others and have ended up with an amazing kit without having the expense of experimenting.I have had a few PM's recarding my build but wouldnt dream of claiming any credit for the build.

Alot of people already know who this member is who is trying to claim its all their own,but its clear too see its an evo nv.

I have no idea of what's been going on as regards rip offs,I will say however that 99.9% of the diy builds I've seen have copied something from someone else regardless of the claims 'I was the first to think of doing it this way'

The real pioneers of the diy scene can be counted on one hand in my opinion.

First of all i dont claim fame for my nv just i thought i would try bulid one has i had trouble wiv the guy whos writing .... About me did not buy his to copy then send it back had trouble wiv it from day one came damaged in post (thats wot he said anyway) scope broke etc so thought i would have ago making one like i say NOT OUT TO SELL THEM has i own a ns50... And just one more thing always use recorded post i phoned the guy to see if he had received the nv back as he said he was gonna repair it which i was fine wiv, he then tried to say he hadnt got it so i checked my tracking number and surprise surprise he'd signed 4 it a few hours earlier which is when i asked 4 a refund, so thats my story as u all know who it is anyway

Plus how many ways is there to make nv? There all gonna look similar in some way so get off ur high horse!

Last thing guys i did email the guy privately to have this convo but obviously he wanted to do it public not having people talking behind my back without them knowing my side

Edited by Pestcontrol150

I have no idea of what's been going on as regards rip offs,I will say however that 99.9% of the diy builds I've seen have copied something from someone else regardless of the claims 'I was the first to think of doing it this way'

The real pioneers of the diy scene can be counted on one hand in my opinion.

And I've looked inside most of them, none of them contain the same level of sophistication or components that I have used or sourced. So the info is staying strictly off limits for now.

It's the components that make the difference and how they are combined. Not knocking the nvforum lads but they're all using the same cameras drivers and systems and are all obsessed with ever bigger, more powerful IR torches. If I'd have buried my head for too long in their threads instead of going on with my own ideas I'd have got nowhere.

Edited by mick miller

And I've looked inside most of them, none of them contain the same level of sophistication or components that I have used or sourced. So the info is staying strictly off limits for now.

It's the components that make the difference and how they are combined. Not knocking the nvforum lads but they're all using the same cameras drivers and systems and are all obsessed with ever bigger, more powerful IR torches. If I'd have buried my head for too long in their threads instead of going on with my own ideas I'd have got nowhere.

What I was trying to get across is,as good as your unit is...and it certainly looks very good......it's certainly not what I would call 100% original,maybe the innards are as you say nothing like the other's but the idea of using a near eye display come cctv board with the electrical gubbins in a box above has been around for at least 2 yrs

The first one I saw was by lardy,who then went on to make it smaller and better,the idea for which came from dismantling an nv monocular and rebuilding to suit an add on iirc.

All the dimmer builds I have seen to date use a wiring setup posted by phoenix on the nvf...give or take a few tweaks by others to suit their own build.

A good example is the T20,it was first brought to the attention of nv diyer's by hartshot on the nvf who sent it to sundog on the nvf who put the oslon black in it,on it's return hartshot then bodged a 66mm lens onto the T20....now look how many out there are doing the same,yes me too,but I have to laugh at some who try to make out they were first with the 66mm lens and yet you don't see any reference to hartshot or sundog for doing the T20

Dimmers in adjustable focus torch's...done that over a year ago in both slide focus and T20 last summer,I'm not convinced whether it's useful to have a dimmer in a torch that can adjust to flood as I have not used the dimmer I have as yet,although in a fixed focus I can see it's useful at very close range due to not being able to defuse the light via the focus.

I stand by what I posted earlier,even the big names seem to copy one another in some way with atn now bringing a similar unit to market as the drone pro,

nitesite copied to some extent those using a camcorder seen via vids on youtube,others then copied them but using better cams and ir.

It makes no difference who builds what tbh as sooner or later someone will run with the idea and make a similar unit with better performance.

As for pest controls post....I have no idea what he's on about or who he's refering to and nor do I care tbh.

Lastly if you do bring your unit to market I wish you all the luck,the nv add on market is starting to take off with digital and I can see prices being very competitive certainly the big name manufacturers will be all out to undercut the shed builders.

Edited by weebster

Weebster u dont know wot i am on about but page before he does who thinks he invented nv and eveything used to make it makes me laugh wot a .... Thinking i ripped him plus express delivery and and took five days to come lol i did say i would not post about him but got to put my say across since he has. He has more face than town hall clock two faced lol mr nitesite

Edited by Pestcontrol150

Webster, yes nothing new since cubbly cat stuck a camcorder on a rifle scope. I get what you're saying.

A dimmer is useful where the camera is so sensitive that even when flooded, at thirty yards it's still hot spotting. To be honest I'm the opposite to you, what's the point of fumbling around with a torch at the front of the rifle, in the dark, when there's a perfectly good dimmer right in front of your eye?

The next lamp most likely won't bother with flood/focus to me it's an irrelevance. It's interesting how people arrive at different conclusions though.

Finally, I think the whole 66mm plus is totally unnecessary too. We spent ages getting away from having a lightforce sized lamp on the scope and yet all the nvforum bods are heading right back there as quickly as possible.

Funny old world.

Edited by mick miller

Webster, yes nothing new since cubbly cat stuck a camcorder on a rifle scope. I get what you're saying.

A dimmer is useful where the camera is so sensitive that even when flooded, at thirty yards it's still hot spotting. To be honest I'm the opposite to you, what's the point of fumbling around with a torch at the front of the rifle, in the dark, when there's a perfectly good dimmer right in front of your eye?

The next lamp most likely won't bother with flood/focus to me it's an irrelevance. It's interesting how people arrive at different conclusions though.

Finally, I think the whole 66mm plus is totally unnecessary too. We spent ages getting away from having a lightforce sized lamp on the scope and yet all the nvforum bods are heading right back there as quickly as possible.

Funny old world.

Yes I do agree with you about fumbling with a dimmer on the torch bit,for me far worse as I prefer to mount mine under the silencer and sadly I'm lacking the orangutan length arms which might be why I feel a dimmer is not needed.....well I haven't come across a need for it since changing to a sony based effio e cam board rather than the watec which did experience 'hot spot white out' with a little ultrafire 502b!

There is of course a downside to the flood feature as in 'close foilage' reflecting the ir back so maybe a case for both needs depending on situation.

Now having seen your neat way of incorporating a dimmer close to hand has spurred me to give it a go on the next project using a camcorder viewfinder but same camera in a project box but with a dimmer,could even add it to the build now if there's enough room,hope you don't mind me borrowing that idea.

Edited by weebster

Pestcontrol150, people have a lot of respect for the chap your having a stab at.He didnt say he invented NV, nor does he makes out like he did.What he did do and hundreds are grateful for,is he did the researce incuring the expense and then shared his findings with everyone.This allowed everyone to go out and just buy the parts saving a load of money.You also seemed to be having a go at others by refering in post 26,those that are seeking advise and those who have made their own are wanna be's and has beens.And it is that reason I ask the mods to pull this thread which is a pity realy as apart from your rudeness other have a lot of interesting stuff to say.