Sprayedlubricant into ingnition barrell , now key won't turn

scotslad

Alright folks

Just wondering if anyone got any bright ideas, got a wee van last week ( vuax combi, 04 plate) the ignition ws a bit sticky sometimes when turning the key, i got another key/chip cut and the key cutter reckoned spraying some lubricant into the barrel should help.

Anyway just sprayed some silicon lubricant in and now both keys will hardly turn, i can occasionally turn them but am forcing it a bit, its the very intial movement thats is not turning.

Any ideas wot i can do, really busy at work and need it for work.

Help,cheers

Cheers folks, wish i checked before :) , it's getting slightly better, possibly as it drains out, but still not good. Fingers crossed for in the morning now.

Never had this problem before, and quite often get sticky keys as there usually covered in dirt due to my job which then builds up in barrels (not the case with this motor thou) and a squirt of wd40 has always helped in past

Would a hair dryer help or rpobably not as won't go hot enough to evap the oil?

Silicones a no, wd40 is good for flushing, some compressed air will help it flush just be aware if it's well worn or been tampered with not to blow it open, alternate wd40 working it and blowing air through to flush it, do it a few times, wd40 will dry off with an air line, once dry add a dry lube like a wet graphite spray and work / blow that in a few times then leave it dry

When I got the vitara it only came with one key and that was a bit worn so I got a new one cut but I still had problems getting it to work at times and the new key is the same as the old one if you have the number of the key you could try to get a new fresh key then it should work as long as the tumblers are not to worn I sold the car so its not my problem any longer.

Cheers folks, managed to get it turniung just and took it back to the garage, by time i got there did seem to be turning far better (as usual) they flushed it with brake cleaner which sorted the problem straight away.

The old key is working as well as it did before, so still sticky, but i will put up with it. New key i got cut not really working but hopefully will come right, 150 quid for it and that wasn't from vuaxhal either Things are far too complicated now

Must admit never knew silicon was a No No have used WD40 in the past and thought the silicon would have been even better, just shows u, everydays a school day.

Cheers again folks