Soundbars

AdamW

I'm in the market for a soundbar to replace my current 5.1 setup but am struggling with them!

I don't want just a stereo one, I do want some sort of surround sound.

Now the only ones that I have found so far is the Yamaha YSP's

Are there others out there similar?

Help!

Adam

Been on the Yamaha soundbars for several years , YSP800 and currently YSP600 , I just didn't want the mither of cables and several speaker boxes anymore , they are ok for what they are and provide a good soundstage in front of the listener.

I used to have a 5.1 setup a few years ago and do miss the effects from the rear speakers , maybe wireless speaker systems have moved on and are an option ?

My telly is in the corner of the room which doesn't help as the promised soundbeams struggle to bounce of the walls , the only thing I can hear from the rear is the dishwasher if the kitchen door is open :lol:

Edited by Zulu

What 5.1 system have you got?

My professional opinion is they are pants (soundbars)and you are better off with a decent pair of stereo speakers!

Yamaha are ok if your living room is square with seating in the centre and no doors or windows on the side walls. Yet to see one where this is true outside a demo room.....

Edited by HDAV

By the way HDAV. I bought the adapter you recommended so I can convert the optical audio output to stereo though my old HiFi amp and speakers. Its been delivered but I'm away from home so haven't tried it yet. Should get chance at the weekend. Its got to be better than the tinny speakers in the TV, and from what you say, a soundbar.

By the way HDAV. I bought the adapter you recommended so I can convert the optical audio output to stereo though my old HiFi amp and speakers. Its been delivered but I'm away from home so haven't tried it yet. Should get chance at the weekend. Its got to be better than the tinny speakers in the TV, and from what you say, a soundbar.

OK let me know when you do, if you need any help PM, BTW do you a TOSLINK cable to hook it up with?

I have a Orbitsound one and for the money it's great, parents have just bought the newer Bluetooth version of it,recommended in Fenwicks when getting a new TV ,as best for the money.

My next one will be a Sonos soundbar to go with the current play5 i have.

Figgy