Just gone and done it!!!

Beretta28g

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had 8 bore and 10 bores - all loaded to the max with finest shot available but have gone back to the 12g as I am more familiar with the gun and I can load it to out shoot a 10 or 8 anyday of the week. That is of course my opinion but also of others who have been at the pattern plate with me whilst trialing the different bores.

If I am offered a Tolley double 8 then of course I would take it but it would probably get used once or twice a year at most. My 12's are used at least twice a week

Regards

Graham

Personally I wouldn't bother with one, as has been said the ten will do the same job with none of the hassle associated with these bored out guns.

That being said if that what floats your boat and you want an affordable 8 why not.

I know plenty of people that use them to good effect, I bought my first 8 bore a English single in the early eightys and had numerous big bores since a very addictive pastime and now unfortunately a very expensive one too good luck with it beretta 28.

. Ps Kent I had a rotor cuff and tendon repair along with some arthritis spurs removed on my shoulder 6 months ago no doubt caused by some of the daft loads I used to put through the big bores when I started out, I have been struggling for years with it but its been a success and im back to normal now..

My shoulders are damaged by other "sports" I was a thrower and fighter and was over trained at a young age in times before we knew better. I am thankful my back is good and also knees are not too bad I know many who have faired a lot worse.

Imho the mighty 8 is the way to go with non toxics. It can through a hefty charge which isnt in tje casr of the 12 in a long narrow string.

Interesting book for you is Tom armbrust book on reloading for 8 bores and 4 bores you can get it down loaded off the Internet for a few pound if nobody has a copy, plenty of data and ideas.

I have had 8 bore and 10 bores - all loaded to the max with finest shot available but have gone back to the 12g as I am more familiar with the gun'']and I can load it to out shoot a 10 or 8 anyday of the week. That is of course my opinion but also of others who have been at the pattern plate with me whilst trialing the different bores.

If I am offered a Tolley double 8 then of course I would take it but it would probably get used once or twice a year at most. My 12's are used at least twice a week

Regards

Graham

You're having a laugh mate, you can load a 12 bore to out shoot an 8 or a 10 in your dreams pal. Must make you wonder why cleverer people than ourselves decided to develop an 8 or 10 eh :rolleyes: .

Graham pattern plates do not give the whole picture or tell the full tale, maybe if the pattern plate was flying over you at 50/ 55 yards at a fair old rate of knots you might get a truer picture of what's actually happening with your mighty 12 bore homeloads, I bet you'd not have the full pattern in a 30 inch circle then.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had 8 bore and 10 bores - all loaded to the max with finest shot available but have gone back to the 12g as I am more familiar with the gun and I can load it to out shoot a 10 or 8 anyday of the week. That is of course my opinion but also of others who have been at the pattern plate with me whilst trialing the different bores.

Regards

Graham

you'll find that most reloaders on this forum will disagree with your statements about "your 12g loads" out performing the 10g + 8g..... for one thing its impossible to get the same amount of shot in a smaller / thinner case (fact) and also the powder to propel it (fact), the Bores of the bigger gauges are a lot wider so dont damage the shot as much, so you'll get better patterns...these guns were made to throw heavy charges with as much speed and energy as was possible....whilst the 3.5 " 12g is good, it certainly wont "out do" the the big two you mention, if you compare the "available reloading Data" you'll see what actually is "fact" and not "imagined"!....its good that you have the utmost confidence in your 12g and it can only lead to you being a good shot with it....but unfortunately the true facts are available for all to see in "print".

very best wishes...Dale.