22-250 re barrel?

bikemad24

For my first c/f i bought a used, cheap Remington 700 in April this year. i dont know how many rounds were put through it by the previous owner but iv put around 700/800 through it. It shoots a bullet on bullet group at 100yrds and i can shoot my 4" steel target 300yrds away all day long (figure of speech). But from what iv read these barrels are only good for a 1000 rounds. Is this really the case? When will i know its worn out? i use 55gn hornady v-max that i get very cheap.

Why is almost cheaper to buy a new rifle than to have it re barreled? i can buy a brand new Remington 700adl for £450 but it costs around £5/600 for new barrel.

Atb

Merry christmas

well I wouldn't like to say how many shots a barrel is good for , for a kick off it all depends on how you treat it , also everyone has different ideas on what they would call a barrel is shot out , I would say until your barrel starts grouping bigger than 1 " " groups at 100yrds leave it , for a sporting rifle that's more than good enough , that of course is providing you could shoot sub 1" groups consistently in the first place , however in the real word that's better than most people can shoot on a good day ;-)

my sako 75 had a re-barrel a few yrs ago and it was fantastic , I sent it off to Border barrels and had a heavy fluted barrel fitted amazing job , great customer service and a fast turn around , and best of all it didn't break the bank http://www.border-barrels.com/

Edited by stevo

I am with the guys above to a degree. If the rifle is shooting well then keep shooting it....

the damage is likely to appear around the throat where you might find some fire cracking and at the muzzle where the rifling will wear. The thing with a remmy 700 is you can get some really good quality barrells almost off the shelf. For the price of the new rifle you can get a border barrel to your spec. and installed which with a new trigger will make your rifle much better than one you can buy for the same money.

I had an FN Mauser rebarrelled and it was pretty expensive but done by an excellent rifle man has left me with a superb rifle.

interlock

when the time comes for me personally it's much better to rebarrel rarther than buy new for several reasons

1,you get a custom barrel the twist length weight you want

2,should be guranteed to shoot well

3,if you keep the same cambering no messing with your fac ,these days reason enougth on it's own

Edited by pork chop

Just keep whacking away with it. It's a sporting rifle.

When you are outside the 1" group at 100 yds change the ammo to a more expensive one before purchasing a new barrel or rifle.

A rifle is for life not just for Christmas...

Can't imagine how many rounds I've put through my Tikka 22/250 and it's still spot on if I point it right.

Take Fister's advice and get the full info before you part with money.

By barrel off the shelf could of meant that some gunsmiths will have take off rem 700 barrels off someone else's custom build which should be cheaper than a blank barrel. but that would be a standard barrel. paying a bit more would give you a better barrel starting with a good blank.

Because the 700 is popular start for a custom build there are some new never fired barrels or used with life left in them ones

I found this when looking to rebarrel a rifle of mine but my action was bigger so they could not be used.

For my first c/f i bought a used, cheap Remington 700 in April this year. i dont know how many rounds were put through it by the previous owner but iv put around 700/800 through it. It shoots a bullet on bullet group at 100yrds and i can shoot my 4" steel target 300yrds away all day long (figure of speech). But from what iv read these barrels are only good for a 1000 rounds. Is this really the case? When will i know its worn out? i use 55gn hornady v-max that i get very cheap.

Why is almost cheaper to buy a new rifle than to have it re barreled? i can buy a brand new Remington 700adl for £450 but it costs around £5/600 for new barrel.

Atb

Merry christmas

Believe very little of what you hear. It is very difficult to wear out the barrel of a modern rifle as long as you take reasonable care of it.

As to re-barreling costs. Well, it att depends on what you are re-barreling it with. Most people who choose to do this will be using a good quality barrel which won't be cheap. Then you have to pay someone to do it.

Where can you get a new Remington 700 for that money?

J.

Seriously wouldn't recommend border barrels, even to my worst enemy. And I'm not alone, a little googling reveals they've become known as "boredom barrels" and that I'm far from being the only one who had appalling customer service from them.

No doubt they know their stuff but 6months of lies and lack of interest or appology isn't my cup of tea for £600 or more.

I'd echo the above though, get as much use out of the existing barrel as you can - rebarrels aren't cheap and take longer than you may think; months rather than weeks.

Heck all decent places make you wait, often extreme periods by other business stds. The reasons are many fold (some like to drive a batch to proof)for the while you wait service rather than send (there are more reasons for this than poor couriers) , some have military and other trade bulk orders. Many work single handed.

You can get pre-chambered blanks in common calibres sent from the states but with most guns it is not just a case of unfastening one then fastening the new one. They have to be correctly aligned and head spaced.

I do know my way around a lathe etc. but I shall not be any hurry to go into rifle smithing any time soon, its not a way to making mega bucks. Indeed with comparison even final year apprentices in Aerospace in terms of take home pay, no re-investment in stock /tooling, pensions etc. Its a pretty dumb move financially, so respect the fact that you need to wait for anyone or anything decent

To clarify what i meant by "off the shelf" remmy 700s are so common that it is likely that the barrell makers will have blanks already made up to fit... just require chambering. of course that has to be done with the action. You are about 160 odd miles away but i would recomend Steve Kershaw in Howden or John Carr at Thorne. Both of these guys are true gents and are excellent with rifles.

I have done lots of business with John.If you took your rifle there and let him scope it for you he will give you the full strory and i would trust him to tell you if the work was not needed.

Kind regards

Interlock

From your opening post it will become apparent when your barrel is worn out, crack on!

It will very probably be as cheap, perhaps cheaper to buy a whole new rifle at that time, if you are a normal average shooter (whatever that may be) working in the field, does 1" or 1 hole groups really matter?

We do not all require pinpoint accuracy for every application when you pull the trigger, and think on anyway, ammo choice will make a lot of difference to accuracy anyway!

Edited by Dekers