Rifle prices and pitting

bicykillgaz

Hi

Gonna be looking at selling my .22hornet soon but due to the previous owner mistreating it it's got pitting in it. Gun shoots 1" groups or better with ppu factory and rws factory but hates Winchester as groups go anything upto 1.5" all at 100yrds. Gun is ridiculously accurate when homeloaded though.

Is pitting going to make a massive difference to the price of it when I come to sell it?

Gary

Guest rimotu66

I would say so Gary, condition is always the top priority as I am sure you know.

Just a thought, where is the pitting? I presume you mean inside the barrel, if it is then yes it will have an effect on sale price and will put a lot of people off.

Edited by rimotu66

Its a cz527 American .22hornet, I figured it would. When I bought it off another forum member he'd conveniently forgotten to clean it then forgot to mention it to me when he told it was mint. Next day I gave it a really good clean and found the pitting.

If I'd known I wouldn't have touched it but I ran some factory through it and it shot well, then got into reloading and pretty much forgot it even had pitting as it shoots great. Trouble is I've not found time to sit a load anything for 3 months and have just had twins so gonna get even less time now. So I've decided to sell it including all the loading kit but can't decide on price.

Let me know when you've made your decision, I'm looking for one to re barrel, a 527 would suit just nice just depends on price

Ok mate, what are you realistically looking at paying? No idea on values as I've only ever owned two rifles and there both still in my cabinet upstairs.

My .22 Hornet barrel had some pitting in when I got it and it shot great for thousands of rounds. Unfortunately though it does put people off, that's just how it is.

If you can't get what you want for it, just keep it. You'll find time for it now and again and there's no point selling if you don't make good money on it.

My .22 Hornet barrel had some pitting in when I got it and it shot great for thousands of rounds. Unfortunately though it does put people off, that's just how it is.

If you can't get what you want for it, just keep it. You'll find time for it now and again and there's no point selling if you don't make good money on it.

I paid £600 for gun, mod, scope and about 100 rounds and one mag. When I sell it it will be gun, mod, scope, 2 mags, rcbs press and tricker, set of lyman scales, set of lee scales, lee deluxe 4 die set, 400 brass, 500 hornady 45g hornet heads, untouched tub of lilgun, 800 rem 71/2 br primers and various bits and bobs so I'd like to think it would be worth more than £600 as the heads alone cost £95.

Pal of mine got an old Parker Hale .243 for a song because the barrel was pitted (clearly). I had concerns but was amazed at the level of accuracy it delivered, never caused him any problems for field use on that score.

It will generally put people off though, and that will likely reflect in the price!

One day all too soon those kids will have grown and you will want another. Problem is the rifle will cost a lot more to replace then. If you still have good reason keep it in the back of the safe correctly protected / lubricated awaiting that time, you will not get your money back my C527 Hornet American cost £630 brand new its only about three years old and perfect other than a few light stock marks from use in the field. If the current CZ distributorship set up does not change in time expect more than inflation rises IMO, better than money in the bank and it eats nothing

It is a big issue with hornet! Not enough heat to warm the barrel+ water vapour released on combustion= a blob of water!

All Hornet users....have a rod with a dry patch on it ready for when you get back in!

Oh and I have owned pitted rifles and they shoot fine. It's when the bore looks like a battlefield you need to worry!

U.

It is a big issue with hornet! Not enough heat to warm the barrel+ water vapour released on combustion= a blob of water!

All Hornet users....have a rod with a dry patch on it ready for when you get back in!

Oh and I have owned pitted rifles and they shoot fine. It's when the bore looks like a battlefield you need to worry!

U.

So an un-lubed bullet from a WMR or HMR might be a lot worse by that theory? I must say I leave all CF guns to come to room temp, clean fully and then push a lightly oiled patch through to finish before storing

Split it up and sell the gun only to Paul as a rebarel ;)

The mod is very interesting Gary pop a pic up see if any one here knows of the maker.

Seriously considering it mate but still need an idea on price if that's the case.

It's a good little mod but still no idea who makes them. Give me 10mins Karl and I'll get pictures up.

So an un-lubed bullet from a WMR or HMR might be a lot worse by that theory? I must say I leave all CF guns to come to room temp, clean fully and then push a lightly oiled patch through to finish before storing

It is not a theory Kent. Very real in fact. I have not seen it in the large rimmies but.......

It is not a theory Kent. Very real in fact. I have not seen it in the large rimmies but.......

I wasn't poo-pooing the idea but it must cut this way also if true, it wont effect me like I say. I am in fact darn sure condensation forms inside the barrel of any gun just like it does on the outer when brought indoors from the cold hence my routine

Rf rounds are coated in paraffin wax. But let's not get off topic.

It's a shame about the rifle Gary it's a lovely gun and shoots very wel :(

Not copper jacket WMR or HMR- they aint!

Here's the mod, it's an over barrel and very very quiet. only markings are the proof marks shown and 22 on the end. It's 10.5" long by 1.75" in diameter. To strip it I leave it on the rifle unscrew 4 small Allen screws there's two at either end then the outer sheath slides off, it's sealed by several 'o'rings along the main baffle section.

Anyone know who makes them? I can highly recommend it if anyone can identify it.

post-18953-0-09164900-1390077903_thumb.jpg

post-18953-0-92420100-1390077917_thumb.jpg

Rf rounds are coated in paraffin wax. But let's not get off topic.

It's a shame about the rifle Gary it's a lovely gun and shoots very wel :(

Ideally I'd love to keep it but being realistic when I find time for shooting I want to be out shooting not sat reloading in my loft! I love the calibre, love the gun but just can't find time for loading it. Gutting really as if it wasn't for the reloading thing I would have rather got rid of the rimfire and kept the hornet, but rimmie is easier to feed so I'll keep that. I'll use the funds to get a nice little multichoke .410 o/u and a shed load of fiocchi magnums to play with instead.