Scope choses

bluesj

Hi all. I’m looking to replace the scope on my 17 hmr, at the moment I’ve got a hawke sport hd 4-12 x50 on it. Its ok but it hasn’t got parallax correction on it so at the different ranges I use it at or at least try to use it at the focus can be a bit iffy.
I’ve not got a lot of money to spend on one so was looking at the Hawke Nite – Eye 4-16X50 0r 6-24X50, or a Nikko Stirling Nighteater 4-16X50 or 6-24X56.
Anybody got any views on these or any suggestion of others I should look at £150 - £200

Ive got the nighteater 30mm 4-16 x50 and its a class bit of kit for the price. It will leave the night eye in the dust. Ive used it along side higher end hawke scopes like the endurance and and its a great piece of kit. Imo 4-16x50 is plenty on the hmr and 6-24x56 would be an awful big scope on it.

I looked into a lot of scopes around that price recently when getting a new scope for my hmr and I'm glad with the choice I made, comes with a sunshade and scope caps too.

8A3BCD34-9482-4CCD-9A29-92A5A42AF9FF-337

I was going to buy the Nikko and in the end I wasn't impressed. It was ok at low mag, but poor at higher levels. I ended up getting a second hand fixed mag swarovski and it is super bright & really crisp by comparison. Yeah, it was a bit more expensive, but I didn't expect the difference in glass quality to be quite so obvious. Its worth looking down them before you buy.

Hi all. I’m looking to replace the scope on my 17 hmr, at the moment I’ve got a hawke sport hd 4-12 x50 on it. Its ok but it hasn’t got parallax correction on it so at the different ranges I use it at or at least try to use it at the focus can be a bit iffy.

I’ve not got a lot of money to spend on one so was looking at the Hawke Nite – Eye 4-16X50 0r 6-24X50, or a Nikko Stirling Nighteater 4-16X50 or 6-24X56.

Anybody got any views on these or any suggestion of others I should look at £150 - £200

Parallax adjustment wont help much. Set up of the focus ring correctly might, likewise better and clean lenses. Parallax although used for rangefinding in FT etc with a lot more magnification (32-60x normally). Its true purpose is to illuminate the wander of the aim point optically at up to 12x its effect on focus at short range is very limited at 80-100 even less so.

Without wishing to sound condescending clean the lenses well and get out in good light eliminate parallax by moving your head on the stock at a target set at say 100 yds then use the focus ring on the scope eyebell, leave anything to do with parallax alone after that point if it is fitted. You must take your eye away from the scope while adjusting and re-testing as you eye will try and focus itself. The target cannot be better than an opticians eye chart but so long as its clear and has some fine detail it could be anything, a page from a well printed magazine etc.

Try this and shooting also with both eyes open, you will see twice as good

• 2 years later...

with scopes, you only get what you pay for.

What a completely unhelpful(and untrue)comment! with scopes like everything else in this world goods will perform better or worse than expected at their relative price point

price point and the internet is flooded with comparisons of "this vs that" etc

Ive got the nighteater 30mm 4-16 x50 and its a class bit of kit for the price. It will leave the night eye in the dust. Ive used it along side higher end hawke scopes like the endurance and and its a great piece of kit. Imo 4-16x50 is plenty on the hmr and 6-24x56 would be an awful big scope on it.

I looked into a lot of scopes around that price recently when getting a new scope for my hmr and I'm glad with the choice I made, comes with a sunshade and scope caps too.

8A3BCD34-9482-4CCD-9A29-92A5A42AF9FF-337

+1. An excellent scope.