Choke choice for pheasants?

Colc08

I use one gun,,,sxs fixed chokes full and 3/4 and never had a problem shooting anything with them,,all this swapping chokes just confuses your mind set,,

put the shot in the right place and you will drop them,clear pigeon no6,s and it bye bye pheasant for me,

swapping and changing chokes is in my eyes just a poor shots excuse for missing birds,

atb Evo

Edited by evo

Whatever you choose get a great big bit of cardboard and pattern the gun at 25/30 yards with the shells you're going to use. You don't know how a choke/cartridge combination will change the pattern without testing it.

Underdog - I've really enjoyed reading about your muzzleloaders. Makes me want to rush out and buy one and a tub of Pyrodex!

Can you tell us about this gun? Also are you still shooting your Musketoon?

Excuse me OP :)

The musketoon has gone, some of those funds went to the flintlock......The sxsis a Pedersoli, their cheapest option, plain stocked short 25" barrels cyl&cyl with some basic express sights for ball. Fits me well and despite no choking and only slow, shoots very well indeed.

Buy one and be free from all the hype :yes: oh there is a video in the video section of the flinter!

U :good:

Edited by Underdog

Excuse me OP :)

The musketoon has gone, some of those funds went to the flintlock......The sxsis a Pedersoli, their cheapest option, plain stocked short 25" barrels cyl&cyl with some basic express sights for ball. Fits me well and despite no choking and only slow, shoots very well indeed.

Buy one and be free from all the hype :yes: oh there is a video in the video section of the flinter!

U :good:

No problem Mr Underdog. I have a good idea now of what I want to do so I'm all good :)

I use one gun,,,sxs fixed chokes full and 3/4 and never had a problem shooting anything with them,,all this swapping chokes just confuses your mind set,,

put the shot in the right place and you will drop them,clear pigeon no6,s and it bye bye pheasant for me,

swapping and changing chokes is in my eyes just a poor shots excuse for missing birds,

atb Evo

Its not a case of looking for excuses just more about me understanding my chokes and being able to adapt to a different shooting situation. People mention tightening up later in the season but in my situation I feel its the other way around. Start to mid season my shooting was decent driven pheasant and partridge from cover crops and have been using 3/4 & 1/2 chokes succesfully. Now my last couple of days shooting are clear up days in the woods so shooting lower birds in a much smaller window of oportunity. I just want to give myself maximum chance of a clean kill with blowing them in half.

Anyhow I called into my local gunshop last night and he gave me a 1/4 so now have the full set and can change acordingly and also run a few pattern tests and see what suits me and my gun best. I don't see the point in simply throwing in what I have and making do, when I can put togther a sensible combination and achieve maximum desired effect to suit the shooting situation.

Anyway, thanks for all your input. Much appreciated :)

If you are using an open choke such as Skeet or Cylinder, the obvious problem is that you may hit the bird at moderate range but you also may be at the edge of the pattern which can lead to pricked birds and equally importantly, you are NOT on target and if you learn to shoot pheasants using open choked guns you may not be successful at shooting high birds with a tighter choke when the occasion arises.

After all, the object of the exercise is to shoot high sporting birds dead! - and not to produce runners. It is best to shoot with a minimum 1/4 choke and even 1/2 and 3/4 and only lift your gun to birds that are within the range of your choke/cartridge combination and practice.. practice ..practice!

Edited by Pheasant Plucker