Dieseling

new shot

Hi,

Last year I sent my HW97kt off to be tuned, the guy had it for 7 months and when I finally got it back it seemed a bit smoother but there has always been grease or what ever it is around the chamber..is it a bad thing that will sort its self out or does it need sorting? I have not noticed any smoke coming from barrels when fired but there is always a build up of grease..i will try and put pics on so you can see what I mean.

I am not mechanically minded and don't want to strip it down myself and having spent £160 on the tune I am reluctant to send it off to another tuner for inspection.

Advice appreciated..

Thanks..

Edited by new shot

It sounds like you were well had over to some tune. (sorry for the pun).

Have a look on YOU TUBE. At Si Pittaways vids or Sandwell field sports vids.

I have an HW 97 KT and i sent it to Sandwell field sports for there stage 1 tune £65.

The gun was back in under two weeks and it`s outstanding.

What you get is a new spring, New top hat. Polished Piston. All internals highly Polished.

The gun is easier to cock. Shoots so much Smoother. And a lot less Recoil.

So the Rifle is a lot more Accurate. 5 pence groups at 35 yds. It shoots like my PCPs.

Sandwell turned a Great Rifle in to an outstanding one for £65. Shooting at a Consistent 11.5 ftlb.

If was in your shoes i would send it to Sandwell and have it sorted for £65.

And you will still be shooting it in 25 years or handing it down to your kids.

Good luck.

Russ.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Ive seen si pittaways video on a visit to SFS and tony states there should be very little grease - just enough in fact

google the video and check it out but id be asking some questions if i were you.

Im speaking to phil at the rat works to have my R10 tuned which includes a huge list of work and upgrades and i can have it back in 3 days for under £100

There is so called Gunsmiths out there ( ****wits ) that i wouldn`t let them tune a spud gun. :lol:

They seem to think that filling a Rifles spring with grease is a tune. :crazy:

Yes the gun is a little smoother. A bit less recoil. And a bit quieter. :blush:

The gun is just choked with grease and will not function properly. Constipated. :sick:

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Thanks Guys the sad thing is so many people recommended him and I even waited for him to be able to tune it..

I will arrange a visit to Sandwell to get it looked at .

The gun was 3 weeks old when I sent it off to the man and waited 7 months...

Thanks again

Frazer

i personally would be going back to this gunsmith and would be explaining that im unhappy about it and firstly give him the opportunity to correct/explain

if i was then unhappy with the outcome i would explain i will be taking it to SFS and he will receive the bill

Thanks Guys the sad thing is so many people recommended him and I even waited for him to be able to tune it..

I will arrange a visit to Sandwell to get it looked at .

The gun was 3 weeks old when I sent it off to the man and waited 7 months...

Thanks again

Frazer

Was it Mr Hall by any chance ?

i too would recommend SFS

Edited by fenboy

Hi,

Last year I sent my HW97kt off to be tuned, the guy had it for 7 months and when I finally got it back it seemed a bit smoother but there has always been grease or what ever it is around the chamber..is it a bad thing that will sort its self out or does it need sorting? I have not noticed any smoke coming from barrels when fired but there is always a build up of grease..i will try and put pics on so you can see what I mean.

I am not mechanically minded and don't want to strip it down myself and having spent £160 on the tune I am reluctant to send it off to another tuner for inspection.

Advice appreciated..

Thanks..

I agree 7 months is a long time for a tune and that £160 seems a lot unless it was a stage 2 job but what is it you want a different tuner to rectify ?

Without having pictures of the offending area of grease we just don't know if it's a good or bad job, remember it all depends on who did the work as different people will have their preferences for lubes and some like to deaden spring vibrations using appropriate grease.

Also we have no before and after shot to shot fps variations data to know if the tune had any affect ?! Just trying to put a different perspective on things because it sounds like there is nothing actually wrong with it, no smoke means it's running rather well.

I agree 7 months is a long time for a tune and that £160 seems a lot unless it was a stage 2 job but what is it you want a different tuner to rectify ?

Without having pictures of the offending area of grease we just don't know if it's a good or bad job, remember it all depends on who did the work as different people will have their preferences for lubes and some like to deaden spring vibrations using appropriate grease.

Also we have no before and after shot to shot fps variations data to know if the tune had any affect ?! Just trying to put a different perspective on things because it sounds like there is nothing actually wrong with it, no smoke means it's running rather well.

Yes I see your point and it makes me feel a bit better about it,but every time I cock it there is black grease all over the inside bit where the pellet goes..does that make sense?

Yes I see your point and it makes me feel a bit better about it,but every time I cock it there is black grease all over the inside bit where the pellet goes..does that make sense?

That really wouldn't bother me personally, I used to play around with my air guns a fair bit in the 80's-90's and some were almost impervious to grease. I could go from a little to a dollop on the spring of a HW80 and it seemed to only make it quieter although obviously there is a sweet spot and right amount.