lofting pigeon decoy

bradley winter

They certainly help to get the pigeons attention and draw them to you.

I try to put them where they are silhouetted so as to be seen from a greater distance.Plenty have turned off the flight path to have a closer look which is all I want with the shotgun.

I have used them in the past when air rifle shooting and they give you many more opportunities when they have come in to land in a shootable position within feet of the decoys.

I will try using a ladder also next time, they feel high up when you loft them but not when you stand back and view them.

(I have mounted a funnel on the end of my poles to help locate when taking them down)

spelling edit

Edited by Good shot?

They certainly help to get the pigeons attention and draw them to you.

I try to put them where they are silhouetted so as to be seen from a greater distance.Plenty have turned off the flight path to have a closer look which is all I want with the shotgun.

I have used them in the past when air rifle shooting and they give you many more opportunities when they have come in to land in a shootable position within feet of the decoys.

I will try using a ladder also next time, they feel high up when you loft them but not when you stand back and view them.

(I have mounted a funnel on the end of my poles to help locate when taking them down)

spelling edit

very good cant wait to try them, this time of year is not so productive with pigeons in large groups in my area but its all good wen they start coming . i will be shotguning so getting them into range is all i ask of them lool

PLEASE be very careful when using them, you live not too far from me and we have a large number of electric cables around our fields AND through the woods, on wooden 'telegraph poles' I know of at least 2 deaths of pigeon shooters touching cables when erecting poles in woods. Do not forget, you do not actually have to touch the cables, electricity arcs.

PLEASE be very careful when using them, you live not too far from me and we have a large number of electric cables around our fields AND through the woods, on wooden 'telegraph poles' I know of at least 2 deaths of pigeon shooters touching cables when erecting poles in woods. Do not forget, you do not actually have to touch the cables, electricity arcs.

+1 100% Agree

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason that you cant use half shell decoys for lofting? Whilst I appreaciate that they may not look as real as the full bodied ones, as the birds will mainly bee approaching from above will this still work?

I don't think shells would work anywhere near as good as full bodied. I think the shape is probably the most important factor for lofted decoys, the profile being the thing that pigeons spot. I would say pigeons would be very likely to come into the trees from the side as well as above.

I don't think shells would work anywhere near as good as full bodied. I think the shape is probably the most important factor for lofted decoys, the profile being the thing that pigeons spot. I would say pigeons would be very likely to come into the trees from the side as well as above.

As above :rolleyes::good: BB