Is wildfowling for young uns?

harrycatcat1

Hi

Fowling is defiantly for the young

first find keen youngster strong one

Kit youngster out and then load him with your own tell him carry it will toughen him up

Odviousely he goes first to see how deep the mud is

Your there to keep him safe

Pick 2 spots to shoot from

Have the best spot for your self youngster can learn from watching

After the flight youngster carry everything back

Debrief after with other old fowlers while youngster cleans guns equipment and dog

Ask youngster if would like to go again

If yes you've gate a mate who could save your

Life

Seriously though take someone with you if your not 100% fit

All the best

Of

Excellent advice OF :)

Ha! 'A Fowler's Advice' instead of 'A Father's Advice'.

Hi
Kit youngster out and then load him with your own tell him carry it will toughen him up
Debrief after with other old fowlers while youngster cleans guns equipment and dog
Life
All the best
Of

I have given the thigh waders some thought and the thing is when I went with dale down winkle run to the front we were knelt down in small creeks and the water came up around my waist as I had to tie my coat up higher than my waist, with thigh waders I would have been wet.

I think the way forward is some nylon chest waders which will be more room to move and also so I can sit down on them as well.

Probably get some for 20 odd quid off fleebay.

Reagrds

Hcc

Wear thigh boots when you are not on a tide, i only wear thigh boots and so far i've only got water on them once and that wasnt even on holbeach marshes!

Try the closers spots for a while, andersons is one hell of a walk

Thigh boots and over trousers are often a boon, especially if you need to take a leak! Furthermore ever tried to get out of chesties when your well and truly stuck? I tend to wear chest waders when I need to actually sit in the tide besides being hot they soon wear out and thigh boots are so much cheaper to replace when you tear or hole them

Wear thigh boots when you are not on a tide, i only wear thigh boots and so far i've only got water on them once and that wasnt even on holbeach marshes!

Try the closers spots for a while, andersons is one hell of a walk

For someone so young you are so wise that is good advise, to be honest with the tide the other day I could have got by with wellies :blush:

Yes but the chap that went with me down Andersons had been roaming around Kirton marsh all morning :yes:

then came off and went with me in the afternoon , fit as a fiddle :good::good:

For someone so young you are so wise that is good advise, to be honest with the tide the other day I could have got by with wellies :blush:

Yes but the chap that went with me down Andersons had been roaming around Kirton marsh all morning :yes:

then came off and went with me in the afternoon , fit as a fiddle :good::good:

Its funny you get used to certain things over time you body adapts and so does your technique. its a bit like getting a super fit marathon runner and letting him try and keep up with a hod carrier who smokes 20 fags a day has a bad diet and issue with drink- he wont keep up. A fellow wildfowler had a heart attack and he was driving a sit on mower at the time, he has ten years on me but can still non the less beat me out on his marsh- which I add is a hard one! I have taken guys far fitter and younger than me out lamping on the fell at night yet few keep up my neighbour a shepherd of 84 yrs young can but I doubt he could run 150 yards even slowly

Its funny you get used to certain things over time you body adapts and so does your technique. its a bit like getting a super fit marathon runner and letting him try and keep up with a hod carrier who smokes 20 fags a day has a bad diet and issue with drink- he wont keep up. A fellow wildfowler had a heart attack and he was driving a sit on mower at the time, he has ten years on me but can still non the less beat me out on his marsh- which I add is a hard one! I have taken guys far fitter and younger than me out lamping on the fell at night yet few keep up my neighbour a shepherd of 84 yrs young can but I doubt he could run 150 yards even slowly

Yes I know what you mean :good:

Hi

Life

All the best

Of

I do like that thanks, I shall give that some thought, now where is that boy?

:good::good::lol:

Mine is not physical but mental, I now have reached that age that pulling the trigger dose not float my boat like it use to, I put it down to being spoiled on the Norfolk coast for the last 28 years. I always said that I would stop shooting geese when I hit the certain mark, well I have past that and more due to inland and coastal shooting and wildfowling just dose not have the same draw as It use to. Maybe one day I will get the bug again but at the moment I have lost that passion that once pulled me from my bed and drove my whole life and I feel the worse for it but I don't know a way back YET ! :sad1:

Mine is not physical but mental, I now have reached that age that pulling the trigger dose not float my boat like it use to, I put it down to being spoiled on the Norfolk coast for the last 28 years. I always said that I would stop shooting geese when I hit the certain mark, well I have past that and more due to inland and coastal shooting and wildfowling just dose not have the same draw as It use to. Maybe one day I will get the bug again but at the moment I have lost that passion that once pulled me from my bed and drove my whole life and I feel the worse for it but I don't know a way back YET ! :sad1:

I think it comes to most, what you need is to move on. That might be hunting for something else, birdwatching , restricting yourself to dog work, vermin whatever. Its otherwise just repeating the past only without the buzz. I have worn that hat myself on other things

Thats a tricky one that mate, I have been giving it some thought and still not sure what the cure is or even if there is a cure.

Not sure, you may feel different at the begining of next season when everyone gets the "fever" back, I hope you get better soon.

Regards

Hcc

I have set myself a taget of 10 pinks before I retire , should be 112 by the time I get them at the current rate !

I have given the thigh waders some thought and the thing is when I went with dale down winkle run to the front we were knelt down in small creeks and the water came up around my waist as I had to tie my coat up higher than my waist, with thigh waders I would have been wet.

I think the way forward is some nylon chest waders which will be more room to move and also so I can sit down on them as well.

Probably get some for 20 odd quid off fleebay.

Reagrds

Hcc

Camo nylon chest waders £28 inc p+p off ebay H....you can just use the waist belt they come with whilst walking, just like a pair of trousers and then when you get in position hoist em up, saves getting soaked to the skin, then sitting around chilling for a few hours!!....if you go down andersons with "shakin stevens" you'll still be soaked with sweat even if you're wearing shorts and a T shirt...2 strides to my 1, 6ft 2" and thinks he's on his push bike!!...really you need a pair of leaking waders on, so the sweat can get out!!.....I think he used to be a training officer for the "Foriegn legion"...anyway I've read his comments about me and there's a "solicitors" letter on its way first thing monday morning!!

cheers ...Dale.

Camo nylon chest waders £28 inc p+p off ebay H....you can just use the waist belt they come with whilst walking, just like a pair of trousers and then when you get in position hoist em up, saves getting soaked to the skin, then sitting around chilling for a few hours!!....if you go down andersons with "shakin stevens" you'll still be soaked with sweat even if you're wearing shorts and a T shirt...2 strides to my 1, 6ft 2" and thinks he's on his push bike!!...really you need a pair of leaking waders on, so the sweat can get out!!.....I think he used to be a training officer for the "Foriegn legion"...anyway I've read his comments about me and there's a "solicitors" letter on its way first thing monday morning!!

cheers ...Dale.

Wondered where you had been mate, I will give you a ring in the week :good:

H