maize cover

stiggy84arsenal

Went to some old maize cover that I had seen a few birds on and on my arrival there was loads in the trees and dropping in the cover,

I had to wait for the farmer for an hour but this gave me a chance to work out what was the best plan of action, I noticed the birds flying below the cover and turning into the wind and the flying up the hedge and dropping into a big flat area,

Once the farmer arrived we set up about 30mtr down wind below the flat spot with a magnet and shells placed in it so they could be seen easy.

We started shooting straight away and we ended with 30 picked in 4 hours.

The wind made some great shooting and really testing shots from right to left.

Lost count of how many shots but really dont care the birds we hit made up for the ones we missed. Also

Me and the farmer agreed that we need to plough in the 2 smaller cover strips and leave the one big one to concentrate the birds in one area, so my next rained off day il be in the tractor!!!

Must say as well that there was flipping loads of pigeons about so hopefully they build on cover and I can get a nice big bag soon

Edited by stiggy84arsenal

Went to some old maize cover that I had seen a few birds on and on my arrival there was loads in the trees and dropping in the cover,

I had to wait for the farmer for an hour but this gave me a chance to work out what was the best plan of action, I noticed the birds flying below the cover and turning into the wind and the flying up the hedge and dropping into a big flat area,

Once the farmer arrived we set up about 30mtr down wind below the flat spot with a magnet and shells placed in it so they could be seen easy.

Lost count of how many shots but really dont care the birds we hit made up for the ones we missed. Also

Me and the farmer agreed that we need to plough in the 2 smaller cover strips and leave the one big one to concentrate the birds in one area, so my next rained off day il be in the tractor!!!

Must say as well that there was flipping loads of pigeons about so hopefully they build on cover and I can get a nice big bag soon

Well done :good:

I had a similar situation - birds building on the game cover over the season until there were, maybe - 2-300 there every time I went past. The farmer knocked down about 40 metres of maize nearest to some cover for a hide last Sunday, so on Thursday I HIT THEM.............

Except all 500 went and sat in some willow trees abourt 1 mile away!!

The odd couple or the odd "Nobby-No-Mates" came in OK, so I got about a dozen in 3 hours. The other 488 or so just sat in the trees (upwind so they didn't hear what little shooting was going on), they just couldn't be bothered to feed. Once they are disturbed, that's it, go sit in a tree.

That's why I keep saying we need some winter, at least they will get hungry.