Another good roost

aga man

Arrived at our usual woods in east yorkshire this evening for the weekly february roost shoot.

Hopes were high tonight as there was a good 20mph sw wind blowing and plenty of pigeons in the area generally. i arrived in the wood at 3pm and for the first half hour didn't fire a shot.

By 3.45 things were happening with the sound of gunshot from surrounding woods.

the birds came in steady in 1's and 2's and although it was windy the birds remained quite high providing some very testing sport. i felt i shot very well tonight and killed some very good high birds stone dead with the super fast 6's theat our very own JDog favours :)

unfortunately the camera battery went flat and my phone dosen't have a flash so a quick photo in the garden when i got home was the best i could do.

the bag was 22 woodies, a rook, a magpie and a squirrel all for 32 shots :cool1:

the birds had the usual crop contents but was mostly stuffed with rape.

as i put the birds in the freezer i noticed two of the birds were young bit odd for february me thinks but hey ho whats normal in woodpigeon world nowadays ???

post-57269-0-32413100-1393014227_thumb.jpg

post-57269-0-19153500-1393014255_thumb.jpg

What's your gun you have used?

hi mate, the gun is on my certificate as a rizzini e but an rfd who recentltly looked at it said the barrels and some of the action are bettinsoli.

the gun was rough when i bought it but i re-blued it and oiled the stock. i also had some mandel chokes put in which are beretta mobil fitting , so again not very rizzini. i like the gun and seem to shot well with it :good:

Good shooting Aga man and good ratio on the shots, its a good feeling when you are plucking them out of the sky for the long shots,

cheers mate, yes the shooting was very enjoyable. people pay hundreds to shoot driven pheasants but really pigeons in these conditions take some beating imo and are free to shoot.

theres no doubt these super fast 6's are up to the job very clean kills at good range :good:

do you find this a bit strange daz? i don't remember shooting young birds in february woods in the last twenty years!

hope you manage to get out this weekend bud.

yeah have shot quite a few different times of year in the last 27 years so not to surprising to be honest

I,ll be out either sat , sun

Edited by yickdaz

You weren't shooting at Rise Park by any chance?

no mate, i was shooting around walkington/south cave area last night.

i know rise park very well though as i do a fair bit of work for the estate. beutiful place and good pigeon numbers there too.

. Which may suggest a lot of birds this year. (Good for us, but not for farmers.)

hope your right steve, looking forward to some decent decoying, so much rape here though at the moment.