Any experts on Insurance Approved Safes?

m3vert

I have been advised by my home insurance company that I now require an insurance approved safe installed in the house :-(

It must be minimum of £2000 insurance rated. We currently have one of the electronic Nutool ones installed which doesn't cut the mustard!

If there are any experts in this field I would appreciate it if you can point me in the right direction so as to not waste my cash on the wrong product!
Cheers in advance.

Is that 2k cash rating?

how big do you need.

Most safe in this area are just a box with a fair lock and have no real presence so need bolting to something solid ala guncabinet.

I seem to remember a thread on hear quoting a similar cash rating on a gun cabinet.

Edited by Rupert

Check isf its £2k cash or £2k jewellery BIG difference and give this man a call (colin IIRC) http://www.littlesafe.co.uk/

http://www.littlesafe.co.uk/section.php/1168/1/2_000_cash_rated_safe_upto_20_000_contents/e2cf57d089a2dc673029a57f66792dda Around £200 for a £2k cas safe

This looks a good deal if big enough http://www.littlesafe.co.uk/product.php/629/265/protector_duo_pwka_grey_deraat_high_security_weapon_safe

Edited by HDAV

The guy on the phone today just said a £2k rated safe, and that the jewellery and watches were only covered if worn or in the safe.

I will check that out mate thanks :-)

Sorry he actually said £2k cash rated so guess that's £20k as you have said mate

Edited by m3vert

I think £2k is lowest cash rating.

EN14450

S1: £2000 Cash Rating
S2: £4000 Cash Rating

EN1143-1
Grade 0: £6000 Cash Rating
Grade 1: £10,000 Cash Rating
Grade 2: £17,500 Cash Rating
Grade 3: £35,000 Cash Rating
Grade 4: £60,000 Cash Rating
Grade 5: £100,000 Cash Rating
Grade 6: £150,000 Cash Rating
Grade 7 - £250,000 Cash Rating
Grade 8 - £400,000 Cash Rating
Grade 9 - £650,000 Cash Rating
Grade 10 - £1,000,000 Cash Rating
Grade 11 - £1,500,000 Cash Rating
Grade 12 – £2,250,000 Cash Rating
Grade 13 - £3,500,000 Cash Rating :good:

This looks interesting.............http://www.burtonsafes.co.uk/online/ranger-series-gun-cabinets-%C2%A32k-cash-rating £2k cash rated gun cabinet!

Edited by HDAV

AiS approved Insurance Safes need to be bolt secured to the floor. £2000 would be the cash rating which would equate to a valuables rating of £20000 (ten times the cash rating) Spend a little more than the minimum and get an AiS approved safe. You can buy non approved safes with a similar level of specification and fire rating but if the manufacture has not passed the stringent AiS rating criteria and procedures it may not be acceptable to your insurers. The worst case scenario is they might not pay out in the event of a catastrophic loss of the contents. Try an online search of home safe suppliers. We buy approved safes for our larger houses via a local Ironmongery supplier or Travis Perkins,

but I suggest you speak to someone like Simply Safes to get some expert advice and the correct product.

• 2 weeks later...

Our insurers wouldn't take less than EN1143-1 rating.

Round our way plenty of houses are getting turned over and those sub £100 safes from B&Q just crumple and fold if jemmied. The M-I-L got done and had her little safe popped open in less than a minute - the photos of the safe are up here.

Having seen what happens to those cheaply safes, I wouldn't store the dog's biscuits in one