Damn BMW starter motor failed today.

Guest rimotu66

Guest rimotu66

I thought I had a few pennies spare this month to buy some shooting goodies but the starter motor decided to fail today on my beemer, local indy has quoted £277 supply and fit which I know is a decent price but I am going to do it myself. Any BMW techs on site to let me know if there is anything I need to know?

Apologies, can a mod ship this over to the motoring section please.

Edited by rimotu66

I thought I had a few pennies spare this month to buy some shooting goodies but the starter motor decided to fail today on my beemer, local indy has quoted £277 supply and fit which I know is a decent price but I am going to do it myself. Any BMW techs on site to let me know if there is anything I need to know?

Apologies, can a mod ship this over to the motoring section please.

it's not rocket science changing a starter motor, but before starting make sure you can access it ok, without a ramp etc, if not take it somewhere , if you start it and not see it through it will cost u more.

131 On ebay from £23.00 to £200. Whats it doing sticking.

I had a black cab that would just click but not turn over.

So i replaced the Solenoid. Still the same so I replaced the starter motor.

Still the same. It turned out to be the ignition switch worn out.

It wasn`t giving the starter solenoid enough voltage.

Enough to make the solenoid click but not engage.

Guest rimotu66

Thanks for the replies guys.

The job itself is well within my capabilities I just wondered if there was anything nasty to look out for, I have searched the net and E46Zone but cannot find a how to guide. I do have ramps (the drive on type) and more then enough tools.

I have not tested voltage etc to the motor yet and am back on shift tomorrow for 5 days so will have a look when I am off, the trusty old Trooper will be my stead.

What it does: turn ignition to start and all I hear is 'click' and no turn over, try 3 or 4 times and it kicks into life and all is well, this is intermittent and might not do it for a few days, then will do it more frequent, its not really bothered me until today when I was in town and it took at least 12 tries before it kicked in, its been fine since as well.

If I do it myself I will buy a Bosch unit from a local factors, I don't like buying things like this off the net as its just loads more hassle if anything goes wrong.

I would get your battery tested before you do anything. It could be on it's way out. It's providing enough power for the solenoid to click but not enough to power the pull in and hold in coils for the bendix. If the battery is good there could be an issue with your starter feed wire from the battery. Corroded terminal at the starter or damage on it somewhere that restricts current flow.

Edited by Dancake

Guest rimotu66

Thanks Dan, I do agree but, I can leave the car for a few days without using it even when its frosty and it will turn over and fire up ok so I am pretty sure the battery is ok, I have tested it with my Fluke and its fine. I will be checking all the wires and leads etc as it is intermittent.

I am still searching and it looks like the easiest way to get to it is to remove the intake manifold and go in from the top, suits me as I go dizzy sometimes when I lay under cars and look up :lol:

Guest rimotu66

Squirt some WD40 into the key slot using the thin pipe that comes with the spray-your ignition switch may be dirty and not contacting fully.

Solinoid is clicking so ignition is fine :good:

Sounds like it could be the battery/connections. Have you tried jump starting it from your Trooper to rule some things out?

Never does it iin the driveway, batt conections are fine, havnt checked the one on the starter yet :good:

Is the car an automatic ? It could be the inhibitor switch on the gearbox.

Manual mate :good:

Your symptoms are exactly the same as what was happening to my Freelander 2. I did a bit of research and apparently the contacts in the starters get very worn and cause this type of intermittent fault. I got the contacts from an eBay seller, took off the starter fitted the contacts and bang no more problem.

My starter was a Denso which I think is the same make as the BMW starters. It has an I'd plate on the starter body just get the model and numbers off it and get the contacts. It cost me £14 and took 2 hours ( I'm not a professional) just make sure you can get to it first as there is not a lot of room in th BMW engine bay (used to service my 120d). There are loads of info on doing this procedure online buddy

Hope this helps