CZ 455 VARMINT

ulsterman

Yes,

I bought the Boyds Rimfire Hunter in pepper laminate for my CZ455 16" barrel HMR. They aren't the most communicative of companies. You pay, hear virtually nothing, then two weeks later, you get a letter from parcel force to go and pay customs charges/collect from their depot. I might have had to pay online first, can't quite remember.

They are a great stock, fit is absolutely perfect, and streets ahead of the plank like thumbhole. It is slightly longer, but that's not a problem. This is mine with a wildcat whisper mod which is an over the barrel mod.

Pics

P4110066jpg1_zps08f29a96.jpg

P4110067_zpsc4198711.jpg

Edited by turbo33

Fitted the same as the one in the picture to mine. Got mine with the standard none bumhole stock that must have been fitted on a friday afternoon. Only work I did was to mine was sand out the barrel channel using Emory cloth wrapped around a old brush handle to get the barrel free floating asbit was touching.

I think you did thanks,rifle is nearl bob on now, amo,scop, stock and mod are sorted just the carp trigger drag needs sorting next.

It must have done a few thousand now so I should say its time to fit a whole new trigger unit or get it all stoned and sorted now. Shot Ivan's a while back (my mate who bought same time as you) his is now sweet as and was never even breathed on, previously one of the very worse triggers I have ever used but it settled nicely

Mine does, the trigger is still sheite tho

Well I have Rabbits on the Fell bottom at present

Mine does, the trigger is still sheite tho

Go on fleabay and order a trigger kit, item 160800484012. Piece of cake to fit. It transforms the trigger. You won't need to do any polishing or other tuning. Takes about 20 mins. :good: For the same price as a box of 17grns, its the best money you can spend :yes:

Edited by turbo33

Got the trigger to break at 2.5lb same as my cf target rifle but it drags,ie I put slight pressure on the trigger and it stays the same. So 1lb of pressure 1.5 left to break if yo get my drift. Time to get sorted I know but I also needvto bed the 223 finish the house fix the cars and buy a new new house:-o

Yes,

I bought the Boyds Rimfire Hunter in pepper laminate for my CZ455 16" barrel HMR. They aren't the most communicative of companies. You pay, hear virtually nothing, then two weeks later, you get a letter from parcel force to go and pay customs charges/collect from their depot. I might have had to pay online first, can't quite remember.

They are a great stock, fit is absolutely perfect, and streets ahead of the plank like thumbhole. It is slightly longer, but that's not a problem. This is mine with a wildcat whisper mod which is an over the barrel mod.

Pics

P4110067_zpsc4198711.jpg

Very nice indeed!

Yes,

Pics

I never have understood this habit many have of making guns look pretty, if there is something wrong with it, then obviously fix it or move it, but simply tricking them up for aesthetics sake is alien to me. Guns are tools, if they work, that's it as far as I'm concerned.

This is by far the most I have had done to a gun, new shoulder pad as the American came up a bit short on me and got Sage to take out a few marks in the stock and refinish it whilst he was working on it.

post-20848-0-88951000-1395041314_thumb.jpg

Just the same, that grey bit of Plywood does look quite nice! :yes::good:

I never have understood this habit many have of making guns look pretty, if there is something wrong with it, then obviously fix it or move it, but simply tricking them up for aesthetics sake is alien to me. Guns are tools, if they work, that's it as far as I'm concerned.

This is by far the most I have had done to a gun, new shoulder pad as the American came up a bit short on me and got Sage to take out a few marks in the stock and refinish it whilst he was working on it.

attachicon.gifWMRRifles 003aa.jpg

Just the same, that grey bit of Plywood does look quite nice! :yes::good:

It wasn't to make it look pretty Dekers. I wanted the 455, and it is/was only available as a thumbhole. Now had I known more about them at the time, then maybe the 452 with a varmint barrel would have been the obvious option. Even then, the stock on the 452 is kiddie size and I'm a tall bloke! I didn't get on with the thumbhole for a variety of reasons, fit and comfort being amongst them. So that was the reason I bought the stock from Boyds for it, and I have to say it transformed the fit and balance of the rifle. As to the colour, it was a straightforward choice of various laminates or plain walnut, all un-chequered for the same price. Current price delivered is about £120.

Now I know you regard your firearms as just "tools", which to a degree, they are, especially for you a pesty. For the rest of us, this is our hobby and there's a proportion of owning something that you like and enjoy using, not just as a functional tool.......well for me anyway. :good:

Edited by turbo33

H

It wasn't to make it look pretty Dekers. I wanted the 455, and it is/was only available as a thumbhole. Now had I known more about them at the time, then maybe the 452 with a varmint barrel would have been the obvious option. Even then, the stock on the 452 is kiddie size and I'm a tall bloke! I didn't get on with the thumbhole for a variety of reasons, fit and comfort being amongst them. So that was the reason I bought the stock from Boyds for it, and I have to say it transformed the fit and balance of the rifle. As to the colour, it was a straightforward choice of various laminates or plain walnut, all un-chequered for the same price. Current price delivered is about £120.

Now I know you regard your firearms as just "tools", which to a degree, they are, especially for you a pesty. For the rest of us, this is our hobby and there's a proportion of owning something that you like and enjoy using, not just as a functional tool.......well for me anyway. :good:

Dito.

Not everyone. Mine are work tools also but I totally understand people personalising there guns. I actually put a laminate stock on one of my rifles as I found it better for me to use than the synthetic or the walnut as the safety was easier to reach and the shape of the grip suited me better. People want/require different things, probably the same reason car manufacturers make so many variants of the same model.

Laminates are far more stable in changing climatic conditions, therefore hold their zero and accuracy a bit better. They also tend to being stiffer than natural timber and carry more heft to them. The fact that they look good is no bad thing, tool or no a gun don't have to look pug ugly :good:

Laminates are far more stable in changing climatic conditions, therefore hold their zero and accuracy a bit better. They also tend to being stiffer than natural timber and carry more heft to them. The fact that they look good is no bad thing, tool or no a gun don't have to look pug ugly :good:

:good:

its a 22lr, changing climates wont do jack all unless you are trying to hit sub half inch groups at 200yds or using a £5 scope at 40below

ive got a grs hunter on my remmy and i couldn't care it it was grd 5 walnut of plastic it feels good and is comfortable, not to mention adjustable!

oh yeah and they inlet then for cz 455sGRS-AH-S%2085%20M-BK.jpg

and for those people who have somebody else to carry their rifle for themgrsblue03.jpg

its a 22lr, changing climates wont do jack all unless you are trying to hit sub half inch groups at 200yds or using a £5 scope at 40below

ive got a grs hunter on my remmy and i couldn't care it it was grd 5 walnut of plastic it feels good and is comfortable, not to mention adjustable!

and for those people who have somebody else to carry their rifle for themgrsblue03.jpg

Totally disagree it will effect your zero (only depends on degree). I have even seen action screw tension change to such a degree you could turn them without a driver and once free floating barrels take on a pressure bed as the forearm moves into contact. Do some research on 452 action screw tensions they have been particularly famous, many believe in finding a sweet spot but how when the stock changes with temperature and humidity? (the dovetail that connects to the barrel via the front action screw) . Still I use a good bit of walnut on my own rimfire, it is as yet unaffected, that doesn't mean all are natural wood is funny stuff

movement in a stock can and often will effect any rifle it don't matter if its .22 rf or 50 bmg

I have even seen action screw tension change to such a degree you could turn them without a driver and once free floating barrels take on a pressure bed as the forearm moves into contact. Do some research on 452 action screw tensions they have been particularly famous, many believe in finding a sweet spot but how when the stock changes with temperature and humidity?

There is always the option of pillar bedding the screw points and glass bedding it if you really want to go to town. I've done it on previous rifle builds but on my own CZ laminate thumbhole stock (which fitted great out of the box BTW) for the HMR it doesn't seem to need it. Though I do use an tension adjustable torque wrench if it's ever out of the stock.

I always have a zero sighter/fouler before hitting the rabbits though, ammunition variations and ambient temperature effects on powder and barrel harmonics between zeros can usually make for a click or two.

:)

and for those people who have somebody else to carry their rifle for them

GRS stocks are top draw. Not cheap though at a shade over £500 mind.

Not for chucking about in 4x4s and dragging through hedges! :rolleyes: