Newbie loader

Hello, just purchased my first lee loader aniversity press today for .357 and .38 special and just got wait for the dies to come in stock. Can anybody recommend me and powerder heads etc for a newbie to use and any recipes for certain weight heads to powder etc? Wanted to ask on hear as don't fancy blowing face off doing it wrong cheers

I homeload several thousand 357's a year.

First question-what are you shooting? Is it a LBP or a lever action rifle?

If its a rifle,a good load i've found is a 158grn hard cast bullet,9 grains of Aliant 2400 powder and a CCI small pistol primer.I've chron'd them and they're averaging 900fps so not overly fast,but good for 25-100m shooting.I cast my own bullets (or boolits) using range lead and reuse brass so my only costs are powder and primers.Cost wise with this is around £8 per 100 rounds.

Another good powder is Unique and for same bullet and primer use 6 grains.Hard to get though as gun shops sell out quickly due to it being very versatile despite what its called.

If you want to shoot on a shoestring then use same primer and bullet,but use 3 grains of Bullseye.This is a fast burner so you dont need a lot of it,but it isnt good for longer distances,but means you can get over 3,000 charges from a 1lb tub of powder.

When ordering dies though-get the 38 special set. The 38 set will load 38's and 357,but the 357 will ONLY load 357.Henry Krank sell hard cast bullets for £33 per 500 so not expensive.

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_165_166&products_id=1284

Cheers will be shooting them in a lbr and lever action. Got a few hundred each of the .357 and .38 special and thought if need dies for each one. Henry Krank is were I'm having my press and tumbler from, do you know wots the best/cheapest media for the tumbler and were to get it cheers

For the pistol Unique might be better as its slightly faster burning and means the powder should be burnt by the time the bullet leaves the barrel.Another powder to consider is Blue Dot.

Coca cola is a perfect brass cleaner-really it is.Pour some into an in icecream tub over de-primed brass making sure they're all covered and leave to soak for an hour or so giving it a shake occasionally.Then rinse under running water and leave to dry in an airing cupboard-they come out looking like new! Dont bother using Pepsi because for some odd reason it does nothing.

*Coca cola is also great for de-liming toilets and rotting teeth too.

I use Hodgdon Titegroup in the .44 magnum but it can also be used in the .357. It's a quick burning powder that uses economic charges.

The first thing you should get yourself is a good reloading manual (I have the Lee one) and read it from cover to cover and watch videos on youtube to get yourself fully up to speed with the process.

The Kranks GMC hardcast boolits are good and so is the shellhouse bullet company stuff.

Most common shotgun powders will work in 38special and 357m :good:

Yes,Vectan A1 being one of them. 5 grains of this with same primer and bullet made it incredibly cheap shooting as i used to buy this for £18 a tub from Peter Lawman in Northampton which significantly reduces your homeloading costs,but he's not reliable anymore and never returns phone calles or emails.

357 uses small pistol primers and I would just use normal ones in your plinking load, I get no problems with my 44.

38 Special loads with Titegroup run from 3.2 - 3.8 grains with the 158 so dead cheap. If you do go with Titegroup, loading discipline is paramount as it doesn't fill the case much so a double / triple charge would is difficult to spot.

Edited by Livefast123

Is it small or large pistol primers I need? Also do I need the magnum variety if liar the .357 magnum as well as the .38 special

I never use magnum primers even if i load full power 357's with FMJ's. Just use normal small pistol primers-CCI are ideal.

Livefast made an excellent point about using Titegroup or Bullseye.You use so little, it is very easy to put too much in the case so you do have to be careful.Like i mentioned previously,i use 9 grains of 2400 powder and when i peak inside the cases i can see easily whether they're charged correctly.

Would you all recommend getting a set of digital scales instead of using the balance ones that's come with my kit so more accurate ?

I like digital scales but they can be a bit cranky sometimes so would put more trust in a beam scale. I use both and can use one to verify the other if anything seems untoward.

Magnum primer use is more to do with the type of fuel/powder and or the amount of fuel/powder than to do with any calibre that is called a magnum.

The use of H110 in 357 (and pretty much anything else) is best ignited with a magnum primer. It is what they call a spherical powder and although not always true, they are best ignited by a magnum primer. Most loading data includes primer type.

The flaky shotshell powders used in 357 are fine on standard primers.

I use standards for all my loads except for when using H110. So that's Green dot, Herco, Blue dot and A2400.

U.