223 reload

Always check the powder manufacture’s loading data to see if a particular powder is suitable for a cartridge. If there is no data then there is a reason i.e. unsafe to be published.

Vectan loading data is hard to find. I’ve just gone looking for some that I’ve had for 30 years and can’t find it.

If you can’t find such information then go to another powder manufacture and look at their data. Look at the range of powder’s they recommend. Now compare powder burn speeds. If the powder you are thinking about using is way off from what another manufacturer’s burn rate then stop there!

Vectan A1 is a very fast burning powder designed for shotgun cartridges and potentially usable in small calibre pistol ammunition.

I personally would NEVER attempt for the following reasons. You would need a much reduced charge leaving a lot of free space in the case. This has a tendency to cause inconsistent ignition of the powder. To get to good operating pressures you would be VERY close the knee in the powder burn rate verses pressure graph. A change in charge weight of just 1/10 of a grain could push you from looking safe to way over the top. There are a multitude of other variables which would have very significant effects on pressure – much more than normal.

The lightest of bullets might be feasible but not 55gn

Edited by rem708

I use 4895 with 55 sierra game king bthp in a 1in12. I think the bullet no is 1390 off of the top of head. I use a compressed load and it is hot. over the crono it is around 3400.

WARNING always check load data tables and work up slowly. as said a 10/th of a grain can make pressure go to unsafe levels