help in drawing a fox in (not the usual reason)

can anyone please tell me the best way to draw a fox into my rear garden area, I have open fields at the back of my house and I need to draw foxes to my garden but I do not wish to shoot them

I have a fox caller but wondered if a better way would be to throw some scraps into the field each night and let them get confident in coming to the garden

my son is doing a project for school and we wanted to try and get some pics or even video footage of a fox on our garden, one of his friends is trying to get some footage of badgers but we don't have any badgers near us but we do have foxes not my idea but sometimes you just have to go along with swmbo just for a quiet life

Edited by shawn9914

Tin of dog food scattered around your lawn and rubbed in,if there are foxes they will soon get a whiff and pop in,do it for a few days so they get to know it is there.

If you are going to video them leave a low light on permanently so they get used to it.

Tin of dog food scattered around your lawn and rubbed in,if there are foxes they will soon get a whiff and pop in,do it for a few days so they get to know it is there.

If you are going to video them leave a low light on permanently so they get used to it.

thanks for the reply only problem I can see with that is my dog will eat the food unless I put it out after I put our dog to bed and hope its gone by the morning, should I start by chucking some in the field then move it closer to the house????

we are hoping to video them from my sons bedroom window

I have wall lights on the back of the house so I will leave them on from now on they are only 40watt each so not too bright

thanks for the reply only problem I can see with that is my dog will eat the food unless I put it out after I put our dog to bed and hope its gone by the morning, should I start by chucking some in the field then move it closer to the house? ???

we are hoping to video them from my sons bedroom window

I have wall lights on the back of the house so I will leave them on from now on they are only 40watt each so not too bright

If you don't want to spread it on the lawn nail a tin of dog food to a post a good few feet off the ground and then punch some holes in the tin ,the food will seep out,foxy will smell it if he is close.

If you spread it on the lawn you will find that any hedgehogs in the area will head for your lawn.

It is surprising how close they will come to houses if they think there is no threat.

One of my daughters has a neighbour who feeds foxes like pets. when she feeds she bangs a food plate and they come running down her lawn like sheep. I'm not joking I have seen as many as four in her garden at feed time. my daughter has had one sunbathing on her lawn and even come up looking through the patio doors at them eating their dinner. I am not joking about this. They are like tame dogs. My sister has a fox hole in her garden and at one time was feeding one crusts of bread from her hand. the foxes last a year or so and either get run over or migrate away for some reason and a new one takes up residence in the hole.

Start keeping chickens !

yes you would think so but my next door neighbour has 10 chickens and a bl00dy cockerel and they have no problem with foxes

that cockerel well that's another story I hear the dam thing every morning from 6am and it will only get earlier as the mornings get lighter gggggrrrrrrr wish the foxes would get that thing so I can sleep past 6am on a weekend maybe I ought to chuck dog food on their lawn instead :lol:

regards getting them on my lawn we have a 4ft fence at the bottom of the garden will foxy be able to climb that or should I take a panel out

Edited by shawn9914

Guest stevo

yes you would think so but my next door neighbour has 10 chickens and a bl00dy cockerel and they have no problem with foxes

that cockerel well that's another story I hear the dam thing every morning from 6am and it will only get earlier as the mornings get lighter gggggrrrrrrr wish the foxes would get that thing so I can sleep past 6am on a weekend maybe I ought to chuck dog food on their lawn instead :lol:

regards getting them on my lawn we have a 4ft fence at the bottom of the garden will foxy be able to climb that or should I take a panel out

Just be mindful . That if you intend to lure foxes into your garden . you may soon bring about the demise of nexts doors chickens !.after a few nights of you feeding mr fox . He may very well decide to take the chickens out when the dog food drys up .

As he will be very well aware they are in the area . Then you will fall out with your neighbours and have a problem on your hands .

If it was me I would go out to the fields . And try your experiment well and truly out of the way .

Plus when your done you can do everyone a favour and shoot him ;-)

Edited by stevo

next door are very care full with their chickens and make sure they are locked away every night and when they are away we put them away for them

I see your point though and I may have to explain this to my son, I might set my pop up hide up at the bottom of the garden and bait the field or try calling them in with my fox call, this will be a bit more of an adventure but I know swmbo will not want to do this so I will do it on my own with him

only problem with this is I only have a cam corder and I don't think it will pick foxy up in the field as it will be too dark, I was hoping to use the light from my outside lights to be able to see any foxes that come onto the garden.

next door are very care full with their chickens and make sure they are locked away every night and when they are away we put them away for them

I see your point though and I may have to explain this to my son, I might set my pop up hide up at the bottom of the garden and bait the field or try calling them in with my fox call, this will be a bit more of an adventure but I know swmbo will not want to do this so I will do it on my own with him

only problem with this is I only have a cam corder and I don't think it will pick foxy up in the field as it will be too dark, I was hoping to use the light from my outside lights to be able to see any foxes that come onto the garden.

Some foxes like dead of night, some mornings and other's dusk,and with this sunny weather you may well see then sunbathing in the sun in dips and hollows.stick a bait clock out where you think they may be and then you will get an idea what time they are about.

Video courtesy of our very own Frenchiboy :good:

I got some footage of a local badger set with a cheap wildlife camera... great shots... maybe you could borrow/purchase one and set it up in the field where the fox has been seen... Bit of an outlay if you buy one but great fun for you and the kids to get out an about getting footage of all sorts of animals