Pump action owners - can you help me out?

njc110381

Indeed, not.

Hmmmmm. But *was* it? I had a quick fossik around the Net, but couldn't find much in the way of the design history of the BPS. (I note that it has a mag cut-off facility - something that M37s do *not* have.)

I actually wouldn't mind acquiring an S.2 BPS, myself - you know, just to say I've *had* one...

Regards,

Mark.

Well, allegedly the M37 was based on patents used in the Remington Model 17, designed by Browning and Pedersen. Originally it was to be called the M33, but they subsequently found that some of the Pedersen patents didn't expire until 1937, and so they had to wait until then and the M37 was born.

From Wikipedia (yes I know...)

The Ithaca 37 is based on a 1915 design by the famous firearms designers John Browning and John Pedersen, initially marketed as the Remington Model 17. The Model 17 was a 20-gauge of trim proportions, which Browning and Pedersen later redesigned and refined into the popular side-ejecting Remington Model 31. That gun would eventually be replaced in production by the less expensive Remington 870 which is still produced to this day.

Following the First World War, the Ithaca Gun Company was searching for a pump-action shotgun to produce, primarily to compete with the ubiquitous Winchester Model 1912. They settled on waiting for Remington Model 17 patents to expire. After gearing for production of the Ithaca Model 33, they discovered more Pedersen patents that would not expire until 1937; along with the introduction date, they changed the model designation from 33 to 37.

and another saying the same..

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=106

so, maybe nothing to do with the BPS per se but certainly it has Browning parentage.

For the BPS check out the remmy model 17

In 1915 John Browning patented a pump-action shotgun with the following features: hammerless, under-loading, tubular-magazine, bottom-ejecting, and take-down. This design would eventually become the Remington Model 17.[1] Manufacturing rights were sold to Remington Arms shortly after, but due to the production efforts of World War I, Remington was unable to begin manufacturing until 1921. Before production began John Pedersen made alterations to the design, with more changes made later by G.H. Garrison. The Model 17 was a trim, 20-gauge shotgun that served as the design basis for three highly successful shotguns: the Remington Model 31, the Ithaca 37 and the Browning BPS. Additionally, features of the Model 17 were also incorporated in the later Mossberg 500 and Remington 870.

I have often asked myself..... do I really need both? Both being pump action, bottom loading and ejection and both having a 24" fixed choke barrel. However because they are also very different at the same time it has stopped me from doing so.

I can safely say the BPS "feels" better made, but in reality is it true? The bluing is deep quality finish, the action feels smoother and the wood quality is better. I'm not sure if its down to having duel action slide bars, but there is almost zero forend wobble unlike the very rattly Ithaca.

I like that the BPS has a removable trigger group, and doesn't require the stock to be removed if it has to be stripped down. I also much prefer the tang safely on the BPS as opposed to being on the rear of the trigger guard. However the BPS slide release is an awkward position and has a much better location on the M37.

Someone stated the BPS has a magazine but off, mine doesn't. I think they only have it on the trap models..... or perhaps on the later models. Off the top of my head mine is early 80's.

My BPS has a lot more practical bead sight where as my Ithaca (DSPS) has slug sights on top. 9/10 if I take the pump it will be the BPS due to it being more practical in that sense. However I cannot stop myself from smiling whenever I use the M37. Its massive advantage is the lightweight aspect of the gun. The BPS is considerably heavier than the M37 which makes it a pain for a walk about. Even though both have a solid steel action........ the M37 has undergone a diet, saving only whats necessary. The BPS like I said "feels" better quality but maybe the weight is a contributing factor.... but also its downfall.

M37 is undoubtedly a cooler gun, and perhaps a massive reason why I don't think I would get rid of it is the slam fire! Amazing.

Purest will tell you that the threaded barrel on the M37 is vastly better than the BPS barrel with a welded barrel lug / extension. This maybe the case when shooting slugs however makes zero difference in the real world shooting birdshot.

For me, as stated before the perfect pump would be a hybrid of the two. Effectively an M37, however utilising duel action slide bars, tang safely and a removable trigger group.

• 2 weeks later...

24" is probably a bit long for me. Thanks for measuring it though - much appreciated. :good:

I had a bit of a fondle of an SXP the other day and it turns out that fits me quite nicely. The synthetic didn't look as bad in the flesh as I thought it did in the pictures I've seen, so I may well just go with that. At £350ish it's also not too expensive new which is a bonus.

I quite liked the SXP, except for the trigger, which was enough to put me off. There's zero to take up on my Ithaca, just a nice solid trigger with a positive feel to it. The SXP by comparison, had a large amount of travel before it actually fired and felt less crisp or precise.

Could've been just the one I used of course and ymmv.

• 1 month later...

One thing that I can never understand is why it seems Browning do not import there BPS in to this country also Ithaca do not seem to import ether I have always wanted a bottom ejecting pump gun but I have never seen one for sale in my price range I can only assume that the ones that are here have at some time been imported by there owners and lucky people have got hold of them second hand I was just looking at the US Ithaca web site they do make some lovely guns and some nice smaller ones for the guy who wanted one.

http://www.ithacagun.com/

Edited by four-wheel-drive

One thing that I can never understand is why it seems Browning do not import there BPS in to this country also Ithaca do not seem to import ether I have always wanted a bottom ejecting pump gun but I have never seen one for sale in my price range I can only assume that the ones that are here have at some time been imported by there owners and lucky people have got hold of them second hand I was just looking at the US Ithaca web site they do make some lovely guns and some nice smaller ones for the guy who wanted one.

http://www.ithacagun.com/

Browning UK used to import the BPS, I used to nip into the warehouse of a lunchtime to unbox one & check how it worked, etc.

Never had a SGC at the time (just FAC) or I'd have had a couple away at staff price rates