Beretta 686s

Thaikat

This is what I am trying to find out, a guy selling this gun has told me its a year 1976. Comes with no papers ect so have to take his word for it? I have always thought the (S) was sporting but he is assured its "special"? What would the approx value of such gun be, would you know? Thanks

Check the date code on the barrel flats normally bottom barrel by the chambers it will be 2 letters

AB is 1976

There's a 686 S and a 686 Special

Thanks for the info WelshWarrior, how would you be able to tell the difference between the "S" and special models? Cheers

I will check the date out when i view the gun this week. So for example if it is 1976 model it will say "76"? Cheers

See above it is a 2 letter code i suggest you print it out and take it with you when you go to view.

http://www.hallowellco.com/proof_date_codes.htm

Prior to 75 it was roman numerals

As for value its worth what you're prepared to pay for it cheapest on GT is listed at £650, but depend son the spec and what you want it for (as well as condition etc)

Edited by HDAV

As above it won't say 76 it will say AB

Normally the detail is engraved on the under side of the action say 686 or 686S or S686 even 686 Special. I think but I'm not totally sure the early 686 Special had a key way front 'sight' in either red or white like the early 682 instead of a brass bead. PM and email address and I'll send you example picture if I can sure I've 686 in the lock up.

I had one of these some years ago. Mine was 28 inch barrel, fixed choke game model (with the solid rib). It does say the model on the underside of the action, as welshwarrior says.

Googled a good example picture:

http://www.gunlistings.org/tennessee-gun-classifieds/chattanooga/all/92478/beretta_686_ou_12ga

Nice guns.

Thanks for all the replies guys. The guy wants £625 for the gun, again fixed chokes in 28" barrel does not come with no case. I think thats a fair price if in decent condition. Not bad for a first gun. Cheers

Fixed chokes? Do you know what they are?

Just for info the 'S' doesn't stand for Sporting, it stands for Sovrapposti which is Italian for Superposed, (i.e. OverUnder). The sporting model will have a mid bead and manual safety. I'm not sure if sporting stocks were bigger back then.

Just a semi educated guess but 1976 seems too old for a 686. Could it be a 685?

Just for info the 'S' doesn't stand for Sporting, it stands for Sovrapposti which is Italian for Superposed, (i.e. OverUnder). The sporting model will have a mid bead and manual safety. I'm not sure if sporting stocks were bigger back then.

Just a semi educated guess but 1976 seems too old for a 686. Could it be a 685?

I have not seen the gun in person so can't really comment and to be fair I'm not really educated enough to tell the difference. The more i think about it the better it is to buy from a shop?

To much money you could pick up a newer multi choked gun for cheaper :yes:

got two 686s sporting multi choked both for under £600 :good:

No mid bead on any of mine :no:

Always thought the older Beretta's were better made with higher quality woods?

I have not seen the gun in person so can't really comment and to be fair I'm not really educated enough to tell the difference. The more i think about it the better it is to buy from a shop?

Always thought the older Beretta's were better made with higher quality woods?

Agree with you both mine are 80's guns , even have a 30" barreled 20g . just think it's a bit steep being a fixed choke gun knock him down £100 and it sounds about right to me :good:

Thanks for all the replies guys. The guy wants £625 for the gun, again fixed chokes in 28" barrel does not come with no case. I think thats a fair price if in decent condition. Not bad for a first gun. Cheers

Its £25 cheaper than the cheapest on GTat present

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_686-S_For-Sale_140124102624506

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Beretta_Shotgun_686-Special_For-Sale_140329140422001

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/beretta-686-s-12g-shotgun-for-sale-in-devon/Shotguns/666007

http://www.gunstar.co.uk/beretta-686-special-sport-12g-shotgun-for-sale-in-northumber/Shotguns/656904

Depends if it fits you and if its what you want but unless it was mint i would think carefully about it.

+1 Beat me to it. You haven't said what you will be using it for (clays or game). Fit is very important... Don't just buy it cos it's a Beretta!

If it does fit you and is in nice condition, £600 is a fair price IMO

The main attraction to the gun is its local, in my price range, and looks in decent condition from the pictures.

The gun will only be used for clays.

"Don't Just buy it cos its a Beretta" - This is also another reason i think I'm attracted to it, good quality and reliable for a neewbie?

I am viewing the gun this week, as i have been advised very important to check the connections and barrels are straight also that it fits. I am being allowed to shoot the gun on viewing.

Any advise or tips very welcomed.

Thanks so much...

Beretta are reliable but do still break often easily fixed by a gun smith and cheap to put back on face (oversize stub pins) but sometimes it can be alot of hassle.

If your meeting seller at a clay ground and your going to shoot it, if its a clay ground you have been to before perhaps book a lesson and get the instructors opinion on fit and condition.

For your budget in your area i would be looking at this http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Miroku_Shotgun_7000_For-Sale_140411095400001 and trying to knock them down to £600 with warranty...........

I think you guys are a bit cheap £525 is stupid cheap for a 686 you see very very few at that money.

Indeed £600 in decent condition is about as cheap as a 686 gets (some others S56 are cheaper) but you wont find a 686 in serviceable condition much cheaper infact some rough old dogs are for sale for far more.

That very Miroku has been held by myself last week. Nothing wrong with the gun, felt great but unable to test the gun on site so looked else where.

Most dealers will either let you borrow it for a test shoot (local clay ground) or arrange one, if they wont do either then find another dealer but on the face it would all other things being equal look to me to be a better buy (at £600) and is a 1989

Edited by HDAV