Single shot 12g? Midlands?

shanekiely

Please note many clay grounds limit you 28g loads and 7.5 shot size, this is for completion and safety. Remember the shot must fall within your permission, if goes over you could be in trouble!

Baikal are known for kicking! The lack of recoil pad and generally shorter stock coupled with lightweight if a single is receipe for bruises.... This can lead to flinching and trigger freeze which results in missed birds....

Edited by HDAV

I am following this thread with interest as I am an RFD in Derbyshire and since the beginning of last year single barrels are now very popular in fact several of my customers have regular shoots using only singles as they really enjoy the challenge of them. I must say though that my favourites are the Webley the Cooey and of course the Greener GP but most are well built apart from the Argyle and the Snipe which seem to have problems when they are well used but I suppose you could say that about any sort of gun really.

I know folk who can shoot a single very well but give them anything else to use and they cant hit a thing.

I think singles really are an extremely versatile gun. Light and so simple and very pointable (that classic american phrase usually reserved for glocks and things!) I know a lot of people who are starting to come around to singles and looking on here they are popular. I am definitely considering a .410 to join the 12 now! May have possibly gotten my first permission today but wont know until the phone rings.

I have asked for this topic pinning but was told it was a wanted ad and was nearly moved to that section......... I think we need a "singles club" thread with this as a hyperlink to continue discussing single barrel/single shot shotguns....... I have 2 singles and an over and under ...... And you are giving that baikal some love. Maybe buy a recoil pad for the end too ...... And a single barrelled clay shoot would be fun

my guns, the top one the 410 has been sold to a friend, the other two 12g's i still have

222085_10150169919358972_8205689_n.jpg

the Boito

225409_10150179886243972_4255815_n.jpg

the silenced baikal

281301_10150253258353972_3414233_n.jpg

with the stock sleeve on the baikal and its ejector, i can get a second, third, fourth and fifth shot off in relatively quick succession.

Edited by compo90

• 1 year later...

My main job is mole trapping , I like to take a gun in case of a chance at a rabbit , crow or fox . A 5lb gun with sling mounts is barely noticeable along with my trapping gear . 9 or 10 shells in my pocket is more than enough . Best imho is the humble Baikal single barrel you can get for £20 . Short stock the only problem.

I have had a few singles in my time (spanning 5+ decades !) including a couple of BSA Snipes. They were OK and never had any real problems but the action being aluminium was prone to wear.

Also have had an AYA Cosmos, which was semi-hammerles but a really well built gun.

Best of all without a doubt was a Greener GP ( although I always thought GP stood for general purpose), well built, British, lasts forever and with records still available, the precise year of manufacture can still be obtained.hold their price well.

Thought that I'd add this, for what it's worth.