Single shot 12g? Midlands?

shanekiely

Hey guys

So ive just had my SGC come through after getting rid of my FAC for personal reasons.

I am looking at buying a single barrel single shot 12g as a cheap starter for knocking some bunnies over.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these?

My reasons are thus:

I like the look - important even though this is an unpopular opinion!

I like the smoothness of letting one shot off and quickly stuffing in another instead of letting off 2+1 and having to reload accordingly.

They are light

They are cheap

I've also heard they are a bit of a recoiling gun - best sticking to light loads? I'm previously used to a .308 so shouldnt be too much of a shock?

-----------------------------------------------

I'm also looking for any people who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes a bit with bunnies and shotguns and are up to have a chat and a day out in the midlands. Any takers let me know!

Cheers

i have a nice little single shot that is a lovely little gun to use, it cost me a tenner and was as brand new as the gun had been kept as a spare, the chap had developed arthritis and wasnt renewing his sgc so sold it for a tenner......i have spent more on a box of cartridges.....its 12g with a 3 inch chamber and an external hammer, i love this gun for shooting over my ferret and loaded with hull super fast its a good combination.

i agree that single barrels have a nice aesthetic line and are lighter to carry when rabbitting and loaded with gear, i think i am too far away to take you out shooting, but i do think single barrelled shotguns do have a place in the cabinet and field, and as you say they are cheap. I know a few people who have singles for such use, including terriermen who use them for shooting foxes.

Also on bolted rabbits, you only really get one shot before they are out of range or down another hole, so doubles and semi auto guns can be a bit pointless

here is my single barrel shotgun, my ferret and a couple of bunnies i shot with the gun after being bolted by the ferret

1897000_10152155398278972_1270643156_n.j

Single barrels are by far my preferred shotgun of choice ... l have more success with my single 12 bore than my OU, and its far lighter and easier to carry around the farms. It feels that much easier to get to the shoulder and have the shot off ... lv'e used various weight cartridges and recoil is no worse or better than double barrels. Prefer 1/4 - 1/2 choke with the single .. cheers

Keep an eye open for a Webley and Scott model 100 ... semi hammer .. 2 3/4" - 70mm chamber. Camokids single, looking at the photo is the Italian made BSA folding type shotgun. They are nice guns to have a full days shoot. Light as a feather and lve put 36g No3's through one with no excessive kick.

BSA Folder has the extractor, the Webley the ejector. Either are fine, through choice l prefer the extractor.

Not used a Greener GP .. by all accounts worth having, they interest me! ... then there is the Baikal single. Tends to be tightly choked. Baikal's full choke isnt equivalent to the English full choke. Its what you could call an "extra full choke" .. hit something square on with a Baikal full choke and its a gonner. There is the Cooey, American/Canadian/Winchester singles. Cooey fan adore them, l personally think they are slightly inferior to the Webley 100, Cooey fans would put me in my place if they read this ! ... there is the BSA Snipe. Not owned one. An old gunsmith in passing rates the Webley a more superior single to the Snipe. All l know is that he said that. If its true, its because he's aware it is , l cant in truth say l know.

Baikal taken out from 'extra choke to 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 choke are fine for 70mm steel as are the folder and Webley. So all ok for in range duck/geese.

Persevering with a single really makes it difficult to return to a double barrel. I find l hardly ever use my OU. The only reason l keep it is that l can use 3" magnum cartridges, and to be honest l mainly use steel in 70mm cartidges in singles.

l had a deal supposedly inline for a 20 bore sbs, but lve a feeling its likely to fall through. Im thinking if it doesnt come off l will look for a nice Spanish 12 bore sbs. Ideally ld like an English sbs, but house repairs are limiting my cash flow .... lve got to think about my OU .. l might move it on, cant make my mind up, anyhow, none of it matters cause lv'e a single that gives me great pleasure shooting.

Edited by hoggysreels

Further to what hoggysreels said about the bsa snipe, I believe the later models had an inherent problem with the trigger mechanism? And also an issue with the metal plates corroding that surrounded the trigger mechanism, That's all I know about that gun, and to be honest the one I saw did have really bad and strange discolouration on the side

Hi guys! So I nipped to country store in shustoke who were great. I picked up a baikal 12g single shot mp18 (made in ussr) which I had a little shoot of on the day. I got on with it well although 30g #6 kicked like 00buck! Anyway hit a few clays with it and very happy. I wouldnt mind a few more single barrels if you guys can pm me with your guns for sale?

Just trying to find a shoot in coleshill or surrounding now. Seems mostly spoken for so if anyone has any oppurtunites to go out with them id be greatful. I can also help with your farmers employee risk assessments as a trade! Im a safety consultant by day. Cheers