Converted the kids...

Gully

I took a pigeon off my vegetable patch last night - my first. I breasted it and pan fried it for my kids (three girls 7,6 & 3) for their tea. They loved it. And loved me showing them the wings, lungs, liver, feet and we emptied its crop together also (lots of cypressus seeds and acorns) This morning I went to A1 shooting ground and my eldest pressed the buttons for me, she loved that too. This afternoon went for a walk through the fields with my youngest chasing the rabbits and shouting 'bang'. It made me very proud.

So, a question - does anyone make a kids size air rifle for teaching shooting with open sights and gun safety? Just want something to punch targets in the garden under supervisio - but theyre only small, my eldest has a scar on her eyebrow from holding a scoped rifle too close :)

I'm thinking a crossman ratcatcher or something like that may be good. You can also get a stock for a HW45 pistol, so maybe another maker may do the same for a co2 gun which would be easier for them to load. At that age, all my loading was done for me, and it was still great fun to shoot :)

Yeah, maybe it would be better that they can't load a gun. My daughter loved putting the cartridges into my gun today so she could still load a springer but it would be good that she couldn't use it on her own if ever the temptation took her...

Cheers guys, I'll have a look at the recommendations.

• 3 years later...

why not start on something smaller, then work up to an air rifle? when i was a kid i used to have a plainsman bb gun (like a daisy, only was pump action instead of lever action). fired 4.5mm steel bb's, taught me alot about hold over (when shooting at great distances such as 20 yards!! :blink:), and alot about safety as well (firing at a wooden fence creates ricochets :oops:).

not powerful enough for hunting, but taught me alot, are kid sized and should be able to get one for £40ish quid (if the government havnt banned them :good:)

my kids shoot and i had the same issues. my son is 11 now and has no problem with a cocking a spinger. my daughter is 4 and likes the Co2 pistol more. she can use a springer, but i have to cock it and help support it.

SNC11860.jpg

buy a cheap springer and cut the stock down. looks like i might have to do this as well.