PCP Optimal Pellet Weight

oddjobs

I have 2 PCP non FAC rifles, Hatsan AT44 10 .22cal and a Daystate MK3 .177cal. I have read many forums with regarding pellet weights and a general consensus seems to be that PCP rifles prefer a heavier pellet. My Question is "What is the optimal weight for a non FAC PCP air rifle?"

I use Bisley Magnums on my .177 with amazing accuracy.

However I have been using Accu pells on the .22 which after 35yards seem **** on accuracy but fantastic before 35yards.

Hey mate. It depends what you mean by 'optimal'. do you mean in terms of muzzle energy or usability? heavier pellets do generate more energy in a PCP - but only up to a point.

Different barrels like different pellets. I wouldn't worry about optimal energy transfer and concentrate on the pellet that suits the barrel at any range.

There isn't an optimal weight for pellets but there is an optimal pellet for every rifle. More important factors for accuracy are things like how consistantly the pellets are manufatured and pellet shape (domed, flat, pointed etc) and size (4.50, 4.51 4.52 etc). Personally I don't see the point of using heavy pellets in a .177 rifle unless it happens to be the most accurate for your gun. Accuracy kills not pellet weight when it comes to air rifles.

Put some tried and tested pellets through your rifles to see which is the most accurate - JSB exact 4.52 are the most accurate in mine but and AA Field, H&N are almost the same.

AA Field would be a good place to start

Sometimes the pellet that performs best at mid-range isn't the best if you are pushing it to 50yds. A good example is the 9.5grn Exterminator pellet, which from my testing some years ago ( in my rifles ) proved to shoot flatter at longer range than the lighter 8.44grn JSB exacts which is itself a great pellet.

A pellet that gives me incredibly good accuracy in one of my rifles is the JSB Exact Heavy ( 10.3grn ) but it doesn't shoot very flat compared to other pellets, so is of limited use in the field, but amazing for plinking with - I can cut dandelion stems at 45yds with them.

So, in summary, I've not been very helpful at all :-( . Sorry. You'll have to try a few in your own rifle and see which pellet gives you the best combination of accuracy, flat trajectory, and windage.

There isn't an optimal weight for pellets but there is an optimal pellet for every rifle. More important factors for accuracy are things like how consistantly the pellets are manufatured and pellet shape (domed, flat, pointed etc) and size (4.50, 4.51 4.52 etc). Personally I don't see the point of using heavy pellets in a .177 rifle unless it happens to be the most accurate for your gun. Accuracy kills not pellet weight when it comes to air rifles.

Put some tried and tested pellets through your rifles to see which is the most accurate - JSB exact 4.52 are the most accurate in mine but and AA Field, H&N are almost the same.

AA Field would be a good place to start

+1 (although bisley magnums do give over 0.5 ft/lb @ 50 yds, which could be benefit at long air gun ranges, but it's at the expense of trajectory, Plus, I read tonight that the new magnums are now 11.2gr, and that is a bit heavy for practical .177 use)

So, in summary, I've not been very helpful at all :-( . Sorry. You'll have to try a few in your own rifle and see which pellet gives you the best combination of accuracy, flat trajectory, and windage.

As useful/useless as any of us can be!

We can say what works for us, but there's no optimal energy pellet. If there was, there'd be no pellet diversity. As it is there are hundreds of different combinations, so you have to just try it for yourself. you can get an idea from people's experiences, but at the end of the day, you need to be able to do some tests for your gun, not mine, or Catweazle's or Falcon's etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to all your replies. I have changed from the Accu Pells .22 14.3 grains to Sovereign .22 15.9 grains with an amazing result. The rifle was zeroed at 30 yards with the Accu Pells but when I fired the sovereigns the pellets hit the target 45mm higher. I would have expected the heavier pellet to go lower. The weight of the Sovereign performed much better even at 50 yards. This test was carried out on an indoor range. One of the other members also tried these in his Daystate .22 PCP wolverine and got the same result. However we also tried an 18grain pellet out but this was worse than the Accu Pells. So in short it would appear that an optimal weight is around the 16 grain mark.

I have 2 PCP non FAC rifles, Hatsan AT44 10 .22cal and a Daystate MK3 .177cal. I have read many forums with regarding pellet weights and a general consensus seems to be that PCP rifles prefer a heavier pellet. My Question is "What is the optimal weight for a non FAC PCP air rifle?"

I use Bisley Magnums on my .177 with amazing accuracy.

However I have been using Accu pells on the .22 which after 35yards seem **** on accuracy but fantastic before 35yards.

If Free on a Saturday pop over to Lea Valley Ranges and try Shooting on a Range - Many .22 Shooters will Shoot around 14.00 Grains for .22 - flater Shooting

www.lvagc.co.uk - Open Offer - Day Rate is £5.00 per Day - includes hot Drinks - Full Catering on site

BOB/R

If Free on a Saturday pop over to Lea Valley Ranges and try Shooting on a Range - Many .22 Shooters will Shoot around 14.00 Grains for .22 - flater Shooting

www.lvagc.co.uk - Open Offer - Day Rate is £5.00 per Day - includes hot Drinks - Full Catering on site

BOB/R

BOB/R

Bob/R

Thank you kindly for you in invite. I would love to visit your club in the near future. Looking at the website it looks really good. I shot regularly at a place between Ongar and Chelmsford but it's always nice to meet new people.

Many Shooters might not like Strick target Clubs

But We are a General purpose club

Catering for most Air Gun Disciplines

Based on a Corperate Clay Ground with a large Car Park and Canteen / Club House

Many spend most of their time on Range Talking to other Shooters -

BOB/R

Not forgetting that you can Buy on your Visit - Defiants @ £10.00 per Box :rolleyes:

BOB/R